The Teixeira Watch: Part IV

baltimorebirds

I'm truly amazed at how turned inside out many people have gotten about this thing.
ESPN is reporting that the Yankees are not interested and have not made an offer. Do we believe this or not?? I tend to rather just read the tea leaves. I really think that yesterday's "O's have a real chance" leak was fully intended to get Boston to raise their bid. He is going to be a Red Sox. Nothing I have heard make me feel like he is coming here. I think and have thought all along that we have been a pawn and the hometown angle was finely crafted by Boras.
I don't believe the Yankees are interested. If they've made an offer, its just a token one to try and get the Red Sox or whoever else ends up getting him to have to pay more. Personally, I don't think they have even made an offer.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Basically to give the impression you're willing to spend money, but never do. So when the free agent signs elsewhere you can say: "Ohh they swooped in at the last minute", or this excuse and that excuse. It gets the fans excited cause they think they're going to get a player, but it falls through.

Not wanting to pay 8/190 or 10/200 is not simply an excuse. It's a very valid reason, especially if it would prevent us from paying for other good players. None of us know enough about the O's budget to know what the maximum payroll can be, especially given the recession.

Basically to give the impression you're willing to spend money, but never do. So when the free agent signs elsewhere you can say: "Ohh they swooped in at the last minute", or this excuse and that excuse. It gets the fans excited cause they think they're going to get a player, but it falls through.

I mean, this is Peter Angelos we're dealing with here.

Belkast...the question is, are we still talking and hammering out the little details?

Are other teams still involved?

The longer this drags out, the worse it is for the O's.

It could be wishful thinking but it seems Belkast, while still optimistic, isn't as certain as he seemed last evening. Probably an indication that the situation is fluid. I'm still of the belief that it is down to the Orioles and Red Sox.

I really don't think the O's will get into a bidding war which will just drive the price even higher.

The fact that Tex wants to play here means we should have a shot with a final offer.

I believe that is when the O's will step up and get it done.

I have faith in our guys and the whole process with MacPhail.

Hopefully I have enough blood pressure medicine to see the final outcome.

I think the "bag it" comment is what will turn people off if it doesn't happen.

(not saying it should but that will be the one IMO)

I know. Sometimes, I have a hard time tempering my excitement level. I said it based on what I was hearing. I shouldn't have. I did and I'll take whatever comes my way if we don't sign Tex. Thankfully, I don't think I'll have to worry about it. But your right!!!! Wow that wasn't so hard to say!:D

Not wanting to pay 8/190 or 10/200 is not simply an excuse. It's a very valid reason, especially if it would prevent us from paying for other good players. None of us know enough about the O's budget to know what the maximum payroll can be, especially given the recession.

Their payroll is probably right around 60 mil right now. It was over 90 mil in the late 90's (maybe just a year or two). And that was before MASN, and a guaranteed worth of the franchise.

I don't believe the Yankees are interested. If they've made an offer, its just a token one to try and get the Red Sox or whoever else ends up getting him to have to pay more. Personally, I don't think they have even made an offer.

Yeah I agree. The Yankee interest seemed a bit manufactured to me and of course the national media types bought it. Boras is the puppetmaster. He is pulling all the strings. I think AM is a worthy adversary but ultimately it will come down to the $$. If we offer more he will be a Oriole, if Boston offers more he will be in Boston

All I can say is that I'm going to sleep, and when I wake up around midnight I hope this is resolved. I'm not as emotionally affected as some, but it's just growing old. It's like the Delgado negotiations, then add 90 and multiply by 1,000,000.

It's hard to hold onto hope, but if Belkast can then I'm going to try.

I just kinda feel like it's the bottom of the 9th and we've got Juan Castro coming to the plate..

Come on O's..

That's better than Paul Bako coming to the plate, so I guess by your analogy things could be worse.

Archived