Orioles Claim Logan Allen

NelsonCruuuuuz

Here is my guess: () is 26 and 40 man roster size

Currently (26 and 39)

Elias options Lakins. (25 and 39)

Adds Allen to the 26 and 40 man rosters. (26 and 40)

Moves either A Wells or Ellis to the 60 man IL. (26 and 39)

Then he either 1) keeps Allen for a few days so Holt has watch him  (26 and 39) or

2) DFAs Allen trying to get him through waiver to AAA. ( 25 and 38)

If  they do 2) then they promote Vespi to take Allen's spot on the 26 and 40 man rosters. ( 26 and 39) or

Call up Diplan (26 and 38)

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Vespi will get promoted to the majors when they feel he’s ready.  To this point, he’s off to a good start in 10.2 innings in AAA, after struggling a lot in AAA last year.   I think he’ll see the majors at some point this season if he continues pitching well.   Meanwhile, Allen isn’t going on the 25-man roster so he’s got nothing to do with Vespi being promoted.  

I see. I was under the impression that he had no options and would be in Baltimore. 

29 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I see. I was under the impression that he had no options and would be in Baltimore. 

I now think you’re right.   I hadn’t paid attention to the fact that he’s out of options.   

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here is my guess: () is 26 and 40 man roster size

Currently (26 and 39)

Elias options Lakins. (25 and 39)

Adds Allen to the 26 and 40 man rosters. (26 and 40)

Moves either A Wells or Ellis to the 60 man IL. (26 and 39)

Then he either 1) keeps Allen for a few days so Holt has watch him  (26 and 39) or

2) DFAs Allen trying to get him through waiver to AAA. ( 25 and 38)

If  they do 2) then they promote Vespi to take Allen's spot on the 26 and 40 man rosters. ( 26 and 39) or

Call up Diplan (26 and 38)

Why option him when we can DFA  him and gain a 40 man roster spot.

Edited by Riggodrill44
Misspelled

7 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Why option him when we can DFA  him and gain a 40 man roster spot.

I see this kind of comment a lot. We'll DFA him when we need the 40man spot, but not before. That's just bad management. You keep your assets until you're forced to DFA or release them. There are plenty of non-prospect guys pitching in the bullpen in Norfolk, so it's not likely Lakins would eat into any prospect time down there. 

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Why?   Who do we need to make room for on the 40?

Why?  They can't help the team because they are injured.   No reason for them taking up space of the 40 man if they can't play.  Open the roster spot for Grayson, Stowers, Vespi, Uvila or Neustrom if needed.

Its roster management.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why?  They can't help the team because they are injured.   No reason for them taking up space of the 40 man if they can't play.  Open the roster spot for Grayson, Stowers, Vespi, Uvila or Neustrom if needed.

Wasn't it you that pointed out the rule that you can't move someone to the 60 unless you need to for a corresponding move onto the 40?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Wasn't it you that pointed out the rule that you can't move someone to the 60 unless you need to for a corresponding move onto the 40?

Nope.  The rule I posted says you can't put an injured player on the 60 day IL unless the 40 man roster is full.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Nope.  The rule I posted says you can't put an injured player on the 60 day IL unless the 40 man roster is full.

So you CAN move someone from the 10/15 to the 60?

OK, but still, why do that before it is necessary?   Whenever the time comes that you want to bring up Vespi or Adley, or whoever, you can do it then.    I don't see any logical benefit to doing it before you need to.   No harm either, but it just seems like an odd thing to be projecting.

Bottom line, when we need a 40 man spot to bring someone up, we have a few guys who can immediately move to the 60 day IL, and we also still have some guys on the roster who can be DFA'd and no one will shed any tears.

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So you CAN move someone from the 10/15 to the 60?

OK, but still, why do that before it is necessary?   Whenever the time comes that you want to bring up Vespi or Adley, or whoever, you can do it then.    I don't see any logical benefit to doing it before you need to.   No harm either, but it just seems like an odd thing to be projecting.

Bottom line, when we need a 40 man spot to bring someone up, we have a few guys who can immediately move to the 60 day IL, and we also still have some guys on the roster who can be DFA'd and no one will shed any tears.

Let's see what Elias does.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:03 PM, wildcard said:

Allen has no options left.  

His WHIP is too high to stay on the 26 man roster very long.

This looks like a roster maneuver to me.   Elias can't put Alex Wells or Ellis on the 60 day IL unless the 40 man roster is full.  This claim allows Elias to move one of them to the 60 day IL.  Then Elias probably DFAs Allen to see if he can get him to AAA.    Just my guess.   

IMO Allen is not as good a lefty reliever as Fry. And I am not a big Fry fan.

Allen has a 91-92  four seamer that gets hit hard.  His slider is really his only decent pitch.  One pitch will probably not keep him in the majors.  He needs to develop his other pitches.

I'll be honest, I did not know that was a rule for the 60-day IL. Nice job pointing that out.