Orioles Claim Logan Allen

NelsonCruuuuuz

I don't hate this move. I expect he bumps Fry or Lakins. I don't know that he's going to be given a chance to start unless he goes out and dominates, but another bullpen arm that can pitch a few innings and was a top-100 guy. I am fine taking a look at him for a bit and seeing if he can offer anything. 

24 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I guess I'd rather see him than Harvey. Maybe Holt thinks he can unlock something in his delivery. Not expecting miracles though. 

Nothing against Holt, but if the Cleveland pitching factory couldn't unlock glory for him, I'm not going to hold my breath for a resurgence in the AL East. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Allen has no options left.  

His WHIP is too high to stay on the 26 man roster very long.

This looks like a roster maneuver to me.   Elias can't put Alex Wells or Ellis on the 60 day IL unless the 40 man roster is full.  This claim allows Elias to move one of them to the 60 day IL.  Then Elias probably DFAs Allen to see if he can get him to AAA.    Just my guess.   

IMO Allen is not as good a lefty reliever as Fry. And I am not a big Fry fan.

Allen has a 91-92  four seamer that gets hit hard.  His slider is really his only decent pitch.  One pitch will probably not keep him in the majors.  He needs to develop his other pitches.

Good post, I even learned something. I didn't know this was a rule!

Agree he might make a mop-up appearance at best, but they'll try to pass him through to AAA as soon as they can. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

Why would they not just promote Nick Vespi instead of picking up Allen? I'm not exactly sure, but Vespi probably needs to be on the 40 man and the end of the season anyways. 

Yeah it makes me suspicious they like something about Allen. We'll see.

3 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I'm going to start stretching and warming up... I think I can do better....

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Are you a lefthander?

I'm not sure Doc was talking about pitching... he may have been talking about doing better than Elias with making waiver wire pick ups.

22 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Why would they not just promote Nick Vespi instead of picking up Allen? I'm not exactly sure, but Vespi probably needs to be on the 40 man and the end of the season anyways. 

They can do that when Vespi gets called up.   There’s no reason to do it now.   Vespi was eligible for Rule 5 last winter before it was canceled, and may well have been claimed.   But he doesn’t require protection right now so why not add another body?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

They can do that when Vespi gets called up.   There’s no reason to do it now.   Vespi was eligible for Rule 5 last winter before it was canceled, and may well have been claimed.   But he doesn’t require protection right now so why not add another body?

The biggest reason to me is because the guy they picked up isn't very good. 

Why would you not promote from within, especially a guy that has gone through the system and is putting up decent numbers. 

I mean, your response is the correct one but I'd rather see the team get past the point of adding warm bodies.

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The biggest reason to me is because the guy they picked up isn't very good. 

Why would you not promote from within, especially a guy that has gone through the system and is putting up decent numbers. 

I mean, your response is the correct one but I'd rather see the team get past the point of adding warm bodies.

I think Vespi will get promoted to the majors when they feel he’s ready.  To this point, he’s off to a good start in 10.2 innings in AAA, after struggling a lot in AAA last year.   I think he’ll see the majors at some point this season if he continues pitching well.   Meanwhile, Allen isn’t going on the 25-man roster so he’s got nothing to do with Vespi being promoted.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Vespi will get promoted to the majors when they feel he’s ready.  To this point, he’s off to a good start in 10.2 innings in AAA, after struggling a lot in AAA last year.   I think he’ll see the majors at some point this season if he continues pitching well.   Meanwhile, Allen isn’t going on the 25-man roster so he’s got nothing to do with Vespi being promoted.  

Allen isn't going on the 26?  He has no options, so he has to unless we immediately DFA him.