Felix Bautista 2022

Aristotelian

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Has Bautista ever been talked about being this good of an MLB reliever while in the minor leagues?  He is looking he can be Britton/Chapman in their prime good if he develops right. 

He was talked about but he was so wild he wasn't taken seriously until last year when he began to curb his wildness but he seems to have taken another giant step forward this year.

From The Baltimore Sun:

On first Mother’s Day in majors, Orioles’ Félix Bautista credits mom’s motivation for getting him there

In August of 2015, Félix Bautista was supposed to be pursuing his major league dreams. Instead, he was at home in the Dominican Republic, watching a beauty pageant with his mom.
Bautista, a couple of months removed from turning 20, had been released earlier in the year by the Miami Marlins, who signed the right-handed pitcher as a 17-year-old. Having not latched on to another team, he spent that summer day not at a baseball field, but lying down next to Polonia Bautista de la Cruz watching as Clarissa Molina claimed the title of Miss República Dominicana. Soon, though, Molina gave Polonia cause to inspire her son.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This regime doesn't know how to develop pitching?   Maybe not but Bradish, Bautista, and to a lesser degree Akins and Tyler Wells are a good start.

Hopefully at the end of this season that narrative will have to be rewritten.  

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The new closer?

No. Let Lopez get most of the save opportunities and let Bautista get the leftovers.

The pecking order in the bullpen just changed tonight.  Bautista is on the A team.   Tate has had a nice season but the catcher had to try and calm him twice and then he throws a pitch which was headed towards the hitters back right out of his hand.  

Some guys look shaky in the moment.  

2 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

I doubt they make a switch considering the circumstances behind Lopez's absence, but it's nice to know that we've potentially got another viable option 

Nothing against Lopez but the closer should be your best, most dependable pitcher. I would view it more as a promotion for Bautista than a demotion for Lopez. I would certainly like to see Bautista get more chances.

41 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If you view Lopez as a trade deadline option, keep having him close.  If you want to keep them both, I'd still have Lopez close for now.  🙂

Def, my guess is they want to build up value for Lopez but who knows, maybe he actually adds at the deadline, that would be pleasant