Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

If that is the truth then why are they not going after pitchers like Burnett, Sheets or CC?

I mean if they have neough money to give Tex insane contracts why not give insane contracts to people in an area where you REALLY need it?

They have two or three Studs coming up just like us. Spending on pitching is risky, they probably realized they had no chance at CC(like just about every team in baseball thought) - they went after Burnett, but again...who can complete with the Yankees?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking he ends up with the Nat's. The lerner's have more money than almost every owner in baseball combined - so to say signing Tex would cripple them is absurd. They could easily buy a bunch of FA's to jump start the team. Their farm system now is adequate enough to keep the ball rolling. They need fans badly, this could be just what the doctor ordered.

But they made their money by making sound business decisions, not questionable ones. One player, no matter how good, is not going to make the difference for the Nats. The same can be said for the O's to a degree, but I think our farm system is in a lot better shape and our young talent is a lot closer to contributing. Plus there is another hefty contributor in this equation for the O's...the whole hometown thing.

In my opinion, Tex will not make the Nats a winner now and not for a few years at least. They do need fans, but I still think that it is not a baseball city, it has been proven a few times.

A new stadium is a bigger deal to me than one big free agent, and attendance dropped steadily following opening day. That says something to me.

You say they could buy a bunch of FA's to get the ball rolling, and you are right. But they won't. That is not how the Lerners do business. And that is why it just does not make sense for the Nats to be involved. Because if they would sign him and that would be it. And that would be a colossal waste of money.

Sure that will bring some more fans in early, but it would not last.

If that is the truth then why are they not going after pitchers like Burnett, Sheets or CC?

I mean if they have neough money to give Tex insane contracts why not give insane contracts to people in an area where you REALLY need it?

Because their hitting sucks just as bad as their pitching.

He could start his own legacy in DC, not be in the shadows of Cal, Eddie Frank, Brooks, etc

People that even mention Teixeira in the same sentence as Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken & Jim Palmer need to get a history book and a drug test.

Those guys were career Orioles from the time they left amateur ball straight to the Hall of Fame, picking up World Series rings along the way.

Eddie? Eddie came up through the organziation and spent a dozen years in the majors before some combination of nincompoops (sp. ?) ran him out of town. He came back years later and helped us reach the playoffs.

Frank Robinson? Yeah, there's something for Tex to aspire to. I'd love to see him come here and LEAD this club to the pinnacle for a sustained run, but I don't see it happening for factors both in and out of his control.

Tex could come here and carve out a plaque in Cooperstown with an O's cap on it, but he's going to have to find his own path. He won't be following in the footsteps of any of those gentlemen, and the mere suggestion of it makes me sick...especially when it's repeated over and over.

(Not addressing you Pfunky, your post just reminded me)

They have two or three Studs coming up just like us. Spending on pitching is risky, they probably realized they had no chance at CC(like just about every team in baseball thought) - they went after Burnett, but again...who can complete with the Yankees?

We have the number 1 and 2 prospects from the AFL who are two top FIVE minor league prospects that will be up here within the year.

The Nats system is populated mostly with B-, C+ guys a lot of average.

we are.

first base is a black hole of "can't stay healthy" and "can't stop gaining weight."

it's really the only position player spot that we really have a desperate need for.

we don't get Tex, we'll probably turn to Dunn for 1B.

and yeah, we need pitching too, but giving ridiculous contracts to pitchers isn't normally wise. hitters are a safer bet. especially switch-hitting, power-hitting, run-producing, gold-glove fielding first-basemen with absolute no known character flaws.

Why does this board have so many Nats fans? I don't get it. I guess if there's one thing that could jumpstart a "rivalry", it's Tex.

I just came over here to see the Orioles side of this saga, that's all. there may be some nats trolls around here, but I'm not one of them.

and as I said in another thread, the only thing that would jumpstart this "rivalry" (and I use the term loosely) is Orioles vs Nats in the World Series. otherwise it's just media hyped crap, imo.

But they made their money by making sound business decisions, not questionable ones. One player, no matter how good, is not going to make the difference for the Nats. The same can be said for the O's to a degree, but I think our farm system is in a lot better shape and our young talent is a lot closer to contributing. Plus there is another hefty contributor in this equation for the O's...the whole hometown thing.

In my opinion, Tex will not make the Nats a winner now and not for a few years at least. They do need fans, but I still think that it is not a baseball city, it has been proven a few times.

A new stadium is a bigger deal to me than one big free agent, and attendance dropped steadily following opening day. That says something to me.

You say they could buy a bunch of FA's to get the ball rolling, and you are right. But they won't. That is not how the Lerners do business. And that is why it just does not make sense for the Nats to be involved. Because if they would sign him and that would be it. And that would be a colossal waste of money.

Sure that will bring some more fans in early, but it would not last.

Good post! I tend to agree with the majority of your statements. I'm sure they could swing the 'hometown' label to DC, seeing as how Severna Park is about 30miles away....technically not Baltimore either(I realize i'm splitting hairs here:) Also agree about the Lerners not willing to take gambles - however, I think you underestimate the Northern VA baseball fan's - the area has grown incredibly since the Senators were here. There is much more youth baseball in Nova than there is in MD - furthermore, if they win they will attract many new fans because of the size of their market. I think we will see Jordan Zimmerman this year and Detwiller the next year, so FA pitching will most likely be on the top of their list next year...they will have Olsen, Zimmerman, Detwiller, and FA FA....could be a very good team.

Archived