Olney on trade deadline

Sports Guy

Obviously everybody on the major league roster certainly should be available for the right price but they shouldn't force anything. They can roll with the Mullinses and Hays of the world for another year if the deal is not exactly what they want. 

2 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

And we should have Dru Jones ML-ready by 2026, too - right?

Shouldn't be that long if he's anything like, well...ummm....Andruw Jones.

The proof will be in the pudding, but certainly the Astros brought their Bregman super fast when the team was ready (and the player had the goods).

A sunny day 2025 OD lineup for me is probably like C Adley, 1B RMC, 2B Xander, SS Correa, 3B Gunnar, LF Mullins, CF Jones, RF Cowser, DH Kjerstad before we even see what Mayo becomes or if Hays can stay better than Cowser in the longer term.    The 10th/11th Hays-Mayo type guy bubbles back into the Top Nine if we stay cheap when the roster has its Lamar Jackson rookie contract advantage.

The returns through today where Elias has exercised strategic latitude on important players are I feel on balance positive (mostly Gunnar, slightly Bradish-Mayo outweighing weak early ROI on Kjerstad-Cowser).    It'll be obscured by half a dozen more front and center things, but seeing if Kjerstad can still hit any this summer is a big delta for me on the Elias Strategic Latitude scale.    We all could have picked Adley.

I know we can look at individual player stats but I wanted to see at certain position where the Orioles ranked offensively.  

AL Rankings 

C  13th.  .471 OPS 

2nd 13th  .572 OPS

3rd 14th .514 OPS

SS 10th .620 OPS

The team is 5th in AL in OPS from OF. From infield the Orioles are 13th. 

Adley fills one hole. You deal Hays and Mullins how do you fill those holes?  Yes, we have some nice OF prospects. None are ready. Stowers is more of a hope. Have to fill DH next year as well. Now if you make some lateral deals with Mullins and Hays that’s one thing. Are they going to deal 2 players with each 3 years of team control left for more prospects? Or finally fill the other holes in and see what they have? 

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Shouldn't be that long if he's anything like, well...ummm....Andruw Jones.

The proof will be in the pudding, but certainly the Astros brought their Bregman super fast when the team was ready (and the player had the goods).

A sunny day 2025 OD lineup for me is probably like C Adley, 1B RMC, 2B Xander, SS Correa, 3B Gunnar, LF Mullins, CF Jones, RF Cowser, DH Kjerstad before we even see what Mayo becomes or if Hays can stay better than Cowser in the longer term.    The 10th/11th Hays-Mayo type guy bubbles back into the Top Nine if we stay cheap when the roster has its Lamar Jackson rookie contract advantage.

The returns through today where Elias has exercised strategic latitude on important players are I feel on balance positive (mostly Gunnar, slightly Bradish-Mayo outweighing weak early ROI on Kjerstad-Cowser).    It'll be obscured by half a dozen more front and center things, but seeing if Kjerstad can still hit any this summer is a big delta for me on the Elias Strategic Latitude scale.    We all could have picked Adley.

I think Stowers has a more likely chance to be on that squad than Kjerstad.  I have given up hope that Kjerstad makes it to the bigs - if he does, that's like finding a 20 in you jacket pocket you forgot was there. 

Your future team doesn't include Westburg or Prieto, either?

5 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Your future team doesn't include Westburg or Prieto, either?

Its a good team.

Current Oriole middle infielders probably don't need to worry about $60M of 2023 guys turning them into so many Joe Musgroves and Daz Camerons, however much of a deposit on 2023 playoff odds the best current Orioles put down in the second half.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I’m curious how much buzz Adley and Grayson down the road will create. 

I think that 8-4 stretch got people a little excited and then it all came crashing down and quickly. 

Patience is wearing thin. Even for the people who supported the rebuild. Moving established players is not an easy sell to the fan base right after the prospects start arriving. 

Winning creates buzz.  Any buzz from a particular player is likely to be very temporary.   

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Winning creates buzz.  Any buzz from a particular player is likely to be very temporary.   

Of course. I just think in general I am seeing a shifting of attitude. People are tired of sub par. The rest of this season can be partially at least more entertaining with the call ups. It’s always about winning. The time for patience is over. 

17 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Extend them or keep stacking talent.  Worst case is letting time go by doing nothing.  Let’s not go down looking!  Again…

I agree.   We should be decisive about who to try to extend.   If we’re not planning to extend them, we should be trading them 2 years before FA at latest.  

If it’s a week ago and we’re 16-20 with a healthy Mountcastle, Hays, Urias, and Mateo, then we’re not having this conversation, even though it’s just 5-7 games later during a 162 games it knocked us out, and back to reality. It would’ve been really fun to add to AR/GR  with hopes of adding Gunnar/Hall later on. Is it worth it now?  Probably not. 

If we’re taking Druw Jones #1 then trading Mullins for the “right” offer makes a lot sense. IMO we’d be selling low on Hays right now. I think he’s breaking out in a “Mullins 2021” type of way. 

Mancini and Santander are must trades now. The only thing that would’ve kept them here were WC hopes. Lyles might fall into this category as well. I don’t think Lopez falls into this category but I don’t see how 30ish IP will offer more in return than he can offer us in the future. 

What’s hurting us now is that we drafted for “need” on NCAA,low ceiling players, in Stewart and Grenier, the Kjerstad heart issue, the Cowser vs Lawler pick, Vavra and Diaz not being able to stay healthy, and choosing cash over future value from our Manny and Co. sell off. 

If healthy, I think we’re a year behind where I though we’d be, but we are inching close. I’m not ready to give up Mullins and Hays just yet. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would be in favor, this season, of trading for a starter with age and service time on their side and using Mountcastle as a main piece in the deal.  

Mountcastle is and will be a beast.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  Of course, I'm a teensy weensy bit higher on Mountcastle than others.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Three games in the standings in mid May would make things different? That doesn’t make sense. 

Its not three games.  Its three games and something reassembling a MLB infield.  Means, they should stop yanking our chains as fans and selling some 6 year rebuilding process.  Look at the result this year.  Look at threads with some level of hope for a turnaround. 

I said it would a different article because this should have been the year they actually started developing a winning product.  That article, in so many words, says the Orioles don't have a single current major leaguer that will be on a contending team (maybe moutcastle).  You think if thats the case, if the Orioles trade Mullins, Mancini and Hays, that the Orioles are going to magically create a playoff team out mountcastle and whatever Adley and Grayson are when they come up.  No freaking chance.  Instead in three years you get another f***ink Olney article that says the Orioles should trade Adley and Grayson because they are too far away from being a contender.  

That would be a different article if the Orioles had built something, had started to establish a roster that could compete.  Its not an overnight thing, it take years, and its not select a path either.  You can't say "okay now we will spend on free agents" and it magically works.  You do everything at all times to try and build.  

Everyone wants to follow the Tampa model but most people think the Tampa model is a strong farm.  Its not.  The Tampa model is the unrelenting thirst for talent whatever the means whether that's Evan Longoria (draftee), Wander (Intl), Carlos Pena (waiver) or Charlie Morton (Free agent).  It trading guys a year too early, but not counting solely on the returns to fill the void.  Its not identifying one prospect as the future "guy", its making sure you have three who can do the job.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you want to have a 29 year old and a 30 year old making arbitration 3 salaries on your 2025 roster?  Wouldn't you rather that payroll and roster flexibility?  On top of whatever talent you can get for them.

Yes … I would have traded Mancini Mullins and Means this winter .. Hays has had to play better to increase his value but would trade him, now  would do it 

• Upvote 1