Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's good to hear that.

I didn't believe it when I saw it anyways.

I have tried to make right or wrong of this whole Mark Teixeira saga. I keep coming back to one angle. Before you destroy me, please hear me out.

The Nationals make a 8/160 offer followed by a 7/140 offer from the Orioles. Two other organizations (Red Sox and Angels) go to 8 years. The Orioles annual salary is competitve with the offer we think we know exist.

Orioles 7/140 $20 Million per

Nationals 8/160 $20 Million per

Angels 8/165-176 $20.5-$22 Million per

Red Sox 8/165-170 $20.5-$21 Million per

The problem is that we haven't offered 8 years. We are in the mix according to the media, but we are out if we do not go up to 8 years. They can say they made a solid offer to Boras at just under what he signed for and then spin a story that they would not be used to get Teixeira a better offer elsewhere.

I think we have set ourselves up perfectly to look like studs by signing him away from Boston or look like good negotiators by not being used. All I know is that if they do not land Teixeira they had better make the teams short term (12-18) months known. The fallout from not picking up Teixeira (Or other top free agents) could be 300,000+ fans a year. That is including the 200,000+ fans that come up from Boston and New York every year. Can you say $1.75 Million fans a year.

Thanks.... I saw you post this on the Sun site and didn't see anyone discussing it here.... which I couldn't believe.... I guess we want to ignore potential bad news.

i just wanted to see what that guy would say if he read that since he said we have already signed him.

Archived