Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think he wants the best for his client? I think he only wants whats best for him, which is more money... why else would A-Rod sign with Texas back in 2000.

True. But don't forget, back in 2000, the economy was a lot better, considering where it is today. So, it was so much easier for Boras to get the GMs to play his game, and finally snagged Hicks to pay 252 mil for A-Rod even if Texas wasn't that great of a team.

I've been keeping an eye on the news - there is more media about Manny and his potential suitors right now than Tex. The Tex market peaked last week and is now closing up. It would surprise me if they don't make a selection soon. I don' tknow how SB can keep the momentum in Tex's favor now... wait until Manny signs?

http://www.silive.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/12/manny_ramirez_expecting_a_thre.html

Hank Stienbrenner wants to bring the slugger back to the city where he grew up.

What is this a tag line now?

Sigh. I come into work and Mark Teixiera hasn't signed.

I think Boras is not gonna call Red Sox anymore now since that meeting. I mean, that was a very public meeting even if their meeting wasn't shown on TV. So, I think Boras has decided they're out after Henry had that announcement, and I really think Boras was upset about it. So to me, it is really the Nats or Orioles, and since the Nats are worse than the O's at this point, it will come down to the Orioles.

Teixeira may very well sign with the Orioles but that will not be due to Boras not talking to the Red Sox (or any other team for that matter) because he is angry at them. No successful Agent (or front office) operate that way.

Any Boras negotiation involves all kinds of emotions. We don't know exactly what transpired at the meeting with the Red Sox but if part of Boras' proposal to them irriated them, you can pretty safely assume Boras intended for it to do just that. And, when you operate in the way Boras does, you aren't going to get your noise out of joint when a team publicly takes you to task.

Boras has but one mission and that is to get his client the best, most lucrative deal. If excluding the Red Sox is the most effective way to achieve his goal, then he will exclude them. Otherwise, you can be certain he will happily take their calls and, if necessary, put a call into them.

Our "wow offer has been given to Boras/Tex according to Belkast. The only thing is we don't know how much and what exactly (opt out clause) the deal is for?

If he's right then Boras spent the weekend shopping the offer and everyone was "Wowed" by it seeing as how the Red Sox aren't talking to SB, the Nationals don't expect to win the bidding and the Angels called it quits... and the Yankees started talking about Manny.

Why not have a presser at noon?

Our "wow offer has been given to Boras/Tex according to Belkast. The only thing is we don't know how much and what exactly (opt out clause) the deal is for?

No way it was given IMO...I think even Belkast said that maybe it hasn't been presented yet.

But it is time to up the offer...This thing is going to get done within the next 48 hours I would guess...So, there is no more waiting for the market to set itself or anything like that...It is set, we know what it is going to take.

I really hope the Orioles don't cheap out here.

I think somebody mentioned several pages back that the O's should have Tex sign the deal today, and have a presser at 4. Then I replied and said, why not have it at noon while we have lunch watching Tex don an O's jersey?

So noon, I agree, makes most sense.

McPhail is playing this right. There is no reason to up the offer, because that is exactly what Boras wants. He wants our offer upped, so he can take the to the Red Sox and close. He should keep our offer down and ask for last say - that is asking a lot, but it's the only way to land him, other wise we'll be used as pawns just like everyone else. I congradulate McPhail on doing a job well done if we land him or not, he's doing this on his terms.

I think somebody mentioned several pages back that the O's should have Tex sign the deal today, and have a presser at 4. Then I replied and said, why not have it at noon while we have lunch watching Tex don an O's jersey?

So noon, I agree, makes most sense.

That was me and you, last night.

At this point, let's call SB, give him the offer and demand a presser at noon. It appears their position has grown quite weak since last night.

If he's right then Boras spent the weekend shopping the offer and everyone was "Wowed" by it seeing as how the Red Sox aren't talking to SB, the Nationals don't expect to win the bidding and the Angels called it quits... and the Yankees started talking about Manny.

Why not have a presser at noon?

You know, I never put all of that together. It does seem odd that the Sox are "out" (at least according to them they are), the Angels pulled their offer, and the Nationals were quoted in a report saying they dont expect to sign Tex, I'm not including the Yankees b/c I never thought their "interest" was genuine to begin with and was a creation of ESPN/FoxSports, all in this past weekend if Tex/SB weren't going to announce a decision to go to the O's soon.

Only saying that b/c if the Sox and Angels are out, and the Nats dont expect to sign him then that only leaves the O's.

That was me and you, last night.

At this point, let's call SB, give him the offer and demand a presser at noon. It appears their position has grown quite weak since last night.

How quickly I forget. Or it could have been these shots of tequila...

Absolutely. Set up a videoconference with SB, Tex, and AM. Tell them we'll do 8/180 and have the presser at noon.

Sorry, I have trouble calling any offer of $20mil per year, or more, "lame." Especially as a first offer when you've made it clear that you're willing to go higher or for more years (flexible) once the market has sorted itself out.

Two teams that were offering the same per year salary and one more year have either dropped out entirely (Angels) or said that they're not interest in going higher (Red Sox). The Yankees are looking more like a figment of Rosenthal's and Olney's imaginations with reports that they're about to make a significant offer to Ramirez.

If they Orioles now matched Boston's 8/$160 offer, which is, essentially, the same as ours plus one year, Boras could walk away saying he got just as much as Boston was willing to pay and got Teix to the team he wanted to play for all along. A win/win/win for the player, team and most importantly, from Boras' perspective, the agent.

So, I don't think that 7/$140m was a lame first offer at all.

I agree 100%. There are only 5 players in MLB making 20M or more as per Jim Hunter, and to call a 20M a year offer lame is silly. I know it is easy and at times warranted to ridicule the Oriole owner and FO but not for putting a 20M offer on the table as your starting offer

Archived