“The Sun” sign at OPACY to be taken down?

Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/3345524/2022/06/02/baltimore-orioles-camden-yards-sign/?source=user_shared_article

One source said Peter Angelos, the longtime managing partner of the club, felt it was important to keep “The Sun” sign long after receiving compensation because it had become a park tradition and because Angelos felt a city’s newspaper was an integral part of a community. One source said it is believed Angelos and The Sun had a deal worked out in previous years where the Orioles would receive discounted or complimentary advertising in the newspaper in exchange for keeping the sign on the scoreboard. That handshake deal is no longer in place.

Angelos, who is ill and no longer making club decisions, made several inquiries to buy the newspaper over the years, but never purchased it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Sadly, the Sun is a shell of what it once was.  They broke faith with the city by hollowing out their staff and diluting their product.  They no longer are an important part of the city and I won't be sad to see the sign come down.  

I will miss the aesthetics of the sign, but the Sun is a rag sheet anymore.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

How will fans ever know if it was a hit or an error?

Angelos’ eldest son, John, is now in charge of the franchise’s day-to-day operations. He spoke in February about his vision for a renovated Camden Yards that would maintain the distinctiveness of the renowned ballpark while creating new revenue streams and entertainment options for the organization and community. Having a new sign with an “H” and “E” while charging for the placement could be one way to do that.

16 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I would love the scoreboard moved towards LF behind the statue court (obscuring the Hilton!), so at least most of the park could see most of historic Camden Station, which it has always partially blocked. After the Hilton blocking the Bromo Tower (except for a few seats high up in first base side upper deck), this would be a nice move.

I did a Photoshopped imagining of this several years ago. I added more rooftop seats where the scoreboard is now, as well as an auxiliary scoreboard in right for those in LF who won't have to crane their necks to see a scoreboard. 

CYcBDyR.png

That's an interesting concept. I'd remove all of the upper deck structure in LF (outfield) and put the new scoreboard there, with a standing room area and call it the "Left Field Scoreboard Pavilion" 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I would love the scoreboard moved towards LF behind the statue court (obscuring the Hilton!), so at least most of the park could see most of historic Camden Station, which it has always partially blocked. After the Hilton blocking the Bromo Tower (except for a few seats high up in first base side upper deck), this would be a nice move.

I did a Photoshopped imagining of this several years ago. I added more rooftop seats where the scoreboard is now, as well as an auxiliary scoreboard in right for those in LF who won't have to crane their necks to see a scoreboard. 

CYcBDyR.png

This is a pretty amazing rendering. I love the idea!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

That's an interesting concept. I'd remove all of the upper deck structure in LF (outfield) and put the new scoreboard there, with a standing room area and call it the "Left Field Scoreboard Pavilion" 

If the post in the lease thread is believed to be true then I can see this being part of the major overhaul. Less seating but at the same time adding new technology to the park. 

37 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

This is a pretty amazing rendering. I love the idea!

Thanks! If I'm not mistaken Weams sent my idea and this drawing of a proposed redesign to someone in the O's front office several years ago. Crazy if some of it actually occurs. 

• Upvote 1