A couple of milestones (or at least stepping stones) in the rebuild

SteveA

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Going to be expensive in terms of prospects as well.

We'll see if Elias is willing to part with guys.

Oh, I fully believe he will be.  Pretty sure I've heard him mention more than once that that's one of the major reasons for a stocked farm system, from drafts, trades, and international acquisitions.  And why I've never worried about huge overlaps at particular positions, except in trying to find them playing time to sufficiently evaluate and showcase them. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Bullpen pieces are generally valuable at the trade deadline. I suspect Lopez, Bautista, and Perez will have suitors. 

I suspect the Blue Jays will be checking in frequently. They have one of the worst bullpens in baseball and Nate Pearson is about to be shut down again. 

What’s going to limit us in creative trades around the deadline is that the other four teams in our division are competing for a playoff spot, so they’re not going to want to make us better at all this season. For example, If they trade us a SP for Mancini, or Lopez, they might have to see that SP 3-4 times down the stretch. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s going to limit us in creative trades around the deadline is that the other four teams in our division are competing for a playoff spot, so they’re not going to want to make us better at all this season. For example, If they trade us a SP for Mancini, or Lopez, they might have to see that SP 3-4 times down the stretch. 

No one is trading us a starting pitcher that is in their rotation for any of our players.  We will be getting prospects.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Going to be expensive in terms of prospects as well.

We'll see if Elias is willing to part with guys.

I think he will be but we might not see it for another year or maybe even two.  My impression is Elias is going to be extremly patient to make sure he knows what he has.  If you look at where the Orioles are in their rebuild they are a year behind (understandable after lost year of development in 2020) but otherwise look to be on the same trajectory and running the same playbook that Houston ran when Elias was part of that org. 

3 100+ loss years of tanking to expedite building the farm.  Development of young players leading to an improvement of +!5 games a year over the next two.  Then as a .500 team with a strong foundation they started being more agressive making moves (including being willing to trade prospects) to fill in what they needed to go from .500 team to contention.  What I've seen so far in 2022 gives me some confidence the franchise could get the hoped for +30 wins over the two years after the 3rd 100 loss season to stay on schedule.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No contending team is trading away ML starters.  Starters are going to be a hot commodity.  I seems like every time I check baseball news, 3 or 4 more starters have had season ending injuries or are out for weeks.  Best case is to get above average starting prospects who are a year away.  Maybe can get TOR prospects who are 2 years away.  No other team is trading the O's their version of Gray Rod. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good teams don’t trade SP at the deadline very often, though Tampa did so last year.  

On 6/18/2022 at 11:33 AM, Frobby said:

I’m finding myself with mixed feelings about Mateo despite his weak bat.  His defense has been outstanding, and by WAR his overall contributions have been pretty good (1.4 rWAR, 0.6 fWAR).   I feel like he should be able to hit better, but by no means is he a good hitter.   But the longer the season goes, the more I think his defense is legitimately really good, not just a SSS anomaly.  

71 K's to 8 BB's and a .239 OBP, I don't care how good his defense is/has been he is not the answer at SS

2 hours ago, Too Tall said:

But when Mateo does get on base, man is he fun to watch!  

His baserunning blunder yesterday was rather infuriating.   Got HBP, and after two throws to 1B, easily stole 2B.  So far so good.  But then on a sharp one-hopper by Mullins to the right side, he froze and waited until a throw was made to 1B, then took off towards 3B and then as thrown out by five feet.   Terrible play by him.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, seak05 said:

Bullpen pieces are generally valuable at the trade deadline. I suspect Lopez, Bautista, and Perez will have suitors. 

Not that I am all against it, but trading our strong arms from the pen makes this season go from potentially 70 wins back to 100 losses. Things will get rough with a pitching staff made from twigs and gum. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

His baserunning blunder yesterday was rather infuriating.   Got HBP, and after two throws to 1B, easily stole 2B.  So far so good.  But then on a sharp one-hopper by Mullins to the right side, he froze and waited until a throw was made to 1B, then took off towards 3B and then as thrown out by five feet.   Terrible play by him.  

If it happened more often, I would be worried. I agree, seeing it is infuriating, but by no means does that one play make me want to swap him out at SS for someone else on the roster. I've played enough baseball, albeit not professionally, to know that players are humans and subject to the occasional brain fart. Some more often than others.