A couple of milestones (or at least stepping stones) in the rebuild

SteveA

1 hour ago, PHRESH said:

If it happened more often, I would be worried. I agree, seeing it is infuriating, but by no means does that one play make me want to swap him out at SS for someone else on the roster. I've played enough baseball, albeit not professionally, to know that players are humans and subject to the occasional brain fart. Some more often than others. 

Yeah, I agree with you here.   I was expressing frustration based on having attended the game in person and watching it unfold.   I’m not saying that Mateo is overly prone to those types of mistakes.   

Looking at some metrics, Mateo is 17 for 20 on stolen bases, so a big plus there.   He’s taken an extra base on a single or a double 67% of the time, third best on the team (the other two are McKenna and Rutschman, both in much smaller samples).   He’s made an out on the bases three times, second highest on the team (Mancini is highest with five).  BB-ref has him at +1 baserunning runs, Fangraphs has him at +1.5.   For context, for BB-ref there are 35 players in MLB at +2 or higher and then 76 players at +1 like Mateo; for Fangraphs Mateo is in 39th place.  So, he’s contributing with his baserunning overall, but not at an elite level — partially because he’s not on base often enough to make an impact at an elite level with his baserunning.  

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I agree with you here.   I was expressing frustration based on having attended the game in person and watching it unfold.   I’m not saying that Mateo is overly prone to those types of mistakes.   

Looking at some metrics, Mateo is 17 for 20 on stolen bases, so a big plus there.   He’s taken an extra base on a single or a double 67% of the time, third best on the team (the other two are McKenna and Rutschman, both in much smaller samples).   He’s made an out on the bases three times, second highest on the team (Mancini is highest with five).  BB-ref has him at +1 baserunning runs, Fangraphs has him at +1.5.   For context, for BB-ref there are 35 players in MLB at +2 or higher and then 76 players at +1 like Mateo; for Fangraphs Mateo is in 39th place.  So, he’s contributing with his baserunning overall, but not at an elite level — partially because he’s not on base often enough to make an impact at an elite level with his baserunning.  

It's scary to think what a weapon he'd be if he could get on base at an elite level 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hyde's take in the post game was that from him to constrain Mateo on the bases would be a bad management move in his part.

Just now, wildcard said:

Hyde's take in the post game was that from him to constrain Mateo on the bases would be a bad management move in his part.

Well, this was an instinct play, not a planned move.  Nothing to constrain really.  Mateo just made a bad decision, or arguably, two bad decisions (the decision not to run on contact and then the decision to take off for 3B after the throw to first).   

26-25 in the our last 51 games.

The bullpen is figured out. The lineup has two major weaknesses, but we have to major prospects beating the door down in AAA. 

It’s all about piecing together innings from our rotation and long relievers. Hall is pretty close. Matt Harvey will be an option after July 7th. 

It would be so fun to get to a point where Elias calls up Hall, Gunnar, and Westburg. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

26-25 in the our last 51 games.

The bullpen is figured out. The lineup has two major weaknesses, but we have to major prospects beating the door down in AAA. 

It’s all about piecing together innings from our rotation and long relievers. Hall is pretty close. Matt Harvey will be an option after July 7th. 

It would be so fun to get to a point where Elias calls up Hall, Gunnar, and Westburg. 

Wow that’s almost 1/3 of the season playing +.500 baseball. Would be so nice if the team at least halfway tried to win and called those guys up. 

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

4 games over .500 with just 4 to play means our first non losing month in 7 years I believe.  

Not quite that long but definitely another milestone. 

First 4 game winning streak since 2020 and first non losing month since 2017.  Win one of the next 4 for a winning month.

And at 28-25 in our last 53 we are guaranteed to have at least a 56 game stretch of .500 ball.  Over 1/3 of a season in length, and the longest such stretch since 2017.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, Sports Guy said:

Imagine if they actually tried to put a better team on the field in the offseason, how much better we may be right now.  

They'd definitely be in better shape if they had signed 1-2 decent starting pitchers, but they had to spend $7M to get Jordan Lyles and he hasn't helped them.  I'm actually glad that they didn't sign a real third baseman, because now there's nothing blocking Westburg or Gunnar except for prospect cheapskatery.  

22 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

They'd definitely be in better shape if they had signed 1-2 decent starting pitchers, but they had to spend $7M to get Jordan Lyles and he hasn't helped them.  I'm actually glad that they didn't sign a real third baseman, because now there's nothing blocking Westburg or Gunnar except for prospect cheapskatery.  

Even though Lyles as a -.2 WAR, I feel like he has had some value for us. His FIP is 4.31. Overall, he's been better than he was last season.  Even with the negative value, he's been better than the majority of our SP options in the past 3 years