Who do you want? Who do we take?

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have no idea on either question.   Part of me wants to see them take Jacob Berry just so I can watch the board explode.   

I’ve been on this board for about 6 years now, and I think Berry at 1:1 would cause more ire than I’ve ever seen. My pitchfork has been in the closet since we failed to trade Manny and Britton when the time was right, but I do still know exactly where that pitchfork is in said closet.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have no idea on either question.   Part of me wants to see them take Jacob Berry just so I can watch the board explode.   

some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

• Upvote 1

Want: Collier

Take: Lee

I want Collier because of his youth, and the fact that he's already faced older pitchers in the Cape Cod games. SSS I know, but at 17 he's already challenging himself. Twelve months into the future when he's the same age that Jones, Green, Holliday, and Johnson are now he'd have the benefit of a year's worth of professional coaching and training in our system. I think he'd be better than any of them. 

I think they'll take Brooks Lee simply because he has the lowest risk of a crash and burn, plus he should be able to climb through the system in a couple years if not faster. He supposedly has a strong leadership type makeup so we could be looking at a switch hitting Jeter in the future. Or maybe he doesn't stick at SS, and turns into Billy Smith. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Fair enough but I read that Holliday was not all that great on the summer circuit last year so why are we/you more confident in his bat?

He finished well, and his hit tool has the higher grade. Betting on which high school player is going to hit though is a crap shoot, which is why I’m defaulting to defensive value. But it’s also why I strongly considered answering Collier 😂

I think we also have to remember that these guys are going to get picked apart a lot.  

I didn’t want the Os to take Manny because I didn’t trust the team to develop him and there were questions about his bat.  Now, Manny isn’t a superstar offensive player but he’s obviously really good.

Obviously I was wrong about that but I also think the questions about his bat were overblown than what was being said by scouts.

I think in all sports this stuff gets talked about for so long and we just look for anything that can be an issue that people manufacture issues that aren’t there.

You also have the people that want to say stuff just so they can say I was right.  Plenty of people thought Ryan Leaf should have been picked over Peyton Manning.  They wanted to be the one that said, look at my outrageous thought and how right I was. I think the same type of thing is happening with Jones and this draft.

• Upvote 2

Well, there's no doubt Jones is considered the best talent by most.  There's also a consensus that his biggest question is his bat.  I have said for about the last month that I would go with Jones and hope like hell that everyone else is right about him.  

However, I can see making a case for other players including Brooks Lee and even Jacob Berry. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Well, there's no doubt Jones is considered the best talent by most.  There's also a consensus that his biggest question is his bat.  I have said for about the last month that I would go with Jones and hope like hell that everyone else is right about him.  

However, I can see making a case for other players including Brooks Lee and even Jacob Berry. 

There is no case to take a glorified DH with the first pick after tanking.

As for Jones’ bat, is it really a question mark or is it the search to find something wrong?  Is it really an issue or is his defense and athleticism just even better and the bat gets knocked down because of it?

I’m just skeptical of a lot of these types of things at times, especially when the process is as drawn out as this years is.

Want: Jones

Take: Jones

I’m not as worried about his bat though.  As SG mentioned, talking heads need something to talk about as they compare/contrast players.

And I’ve said before I like Collier’s swing better than Johnson’s.  I wouldn’t be disappointed with Collier either.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think we also have to remember that these guys are going to get picked apart a lot.  

I didn’t want the Os to take Manny because I didn’t trust the team to develop him and there were questions about his bat.  Now, Manny isn’t a superstar offensive player but he’s obviously really good.

Obviously I was wrong about that but I also think the questions about his bat were possibly were overblown than what was being said by scouts.

I think in all sports this stuff gets talked about for so long and we just look for anything that can be an issue that people manufacture issues that aren’t there.

You also have the people that want to say stuff just so they can say I was right.  Plenty of people thought Ryan Leaf should have been picked over Peyton Manning.  They wanted to be the one that said, look at my outrageous thought and how right I was. I think the same type of thing is happening with Jones and this draft.

I agree with all of this, except that I think it’s what’s happening to Lee, because we have a lot more tape on him. Just like scouts had a lot more tape on Peyton.

Lee is a good hitter, who has hit at a high level in multiple places, and he will play a premium def position. (2b & 3b are equal to cf on the defensive spectrum). Maybe Jones has a touch more upside due to power potential, but Lee has already proven himself at a much higher level