Let’s Be Buyers

oriolefan1035

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, agree with all of that.

But when you've been stationed on an oil rig in the North Sea for the last five years with a bunch of dudes in steel-toed boots and hard hats, it's a challenge to not have a one-night stand when you finally get some shore leave.  😅

We have been on shore leave since 1983!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I assume they’d want Mancini or Santander too. Seems like they have a hole at 1B/DH/OF. 

I don't think we'd miss Santander that much, Stowers would likely be just as good.  But I don't like giving up trade chips for a guy with a FIP in the mid-4.00s.  He's out of the Bud Norris, Tommy Hunter mold.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't think we'd miss Santander that much, Stowers would likely be just as good.  But I don't like giving up trade chips for a guy with a FIP in the mid-4.00s.  He's out of the Bud Norris, Tommy Hunter mold.

Agreed on Stowers being able to plug in and keep the offense steady. I think someone like Prieto or Haskin would be easily expendable, definitely nobody higher if we’re including a ML starter. We are gonna need some SP this year and next. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Agreed on Stowers being able to plug in and keep the offense steady. I think someone like Prieto or Haskin would be easily expendable, definitely nobody higher if we’re including a ML starter. We are gonna need some SP this year and next. 

My preference is definitely to go buy one, since there's about a $140M delta between the 2017 payroll and today's.  The Orioles could pay full price for Max Scherzer and still have one of the lower payrolls in the league.  With a young, exciting team and a 392 sign in LC I think they could attract a pitcher or two.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My preference is definitely to go buy one, since there's about a $140M delta between the 2017 payroll and today's.  The Orioles could pay full price for Max Scherzer and still have one of the lower payrolls in the league.  With a young, exciting team and a 392 sign in LC I think they could attract a pitcher or two.

If we can get someone on a short term contract, I’m all for it. I just don’t wanna see us go 4-5 years and tie up long term payroll flexibility. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

At 6.9 K/9 and 1.5 HR/9 I wouldn't give up more than a single 11-20 prospect, and I'd have to think about that.

He is 20-9 with career ERA 3.69 and ERA+ 114 and a career whip of 1.09 meanwhile controllable for 3 years.  If you want talented players you are going to have to give up some talent.  Your not going to get a good controllable starter for a Joey Ortiz or Drew Rom type player.  

34 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He is 20-9 with career ERA 3.69 and ERA+ 114 and a career whip of 1.09 meanwhile controllable for 3 years.  If you want talented players you are going to have to give up some talent.  Your not going to get a good controllable starter for a Joey Ortiz or Drew Rom type player.  

Jose Quintana of Pittsburgh is rumored to be available. He looks a lot like Cashner the year we traded him. 

20 hours ago, waroriole said:

If we can get someone on a short term contract, I’m all for it. I just don’t wanna see us go 4-5 years and tie up long term payroll flexibility. 

How much flexibility do they need?  They currently sit at about $12M over just paying everyone the MLB minimum*, while they're bringing in over $100M in shared money and 10s of $millions in MASN money.  They could add a $35M pitcher and have a lower payroll than the Rays, whose paid attendance so far this year is measured in the dozens.

* from now to the end of time I'm going to ignore the Chris Davis payments in all discussions of payroll

Edited by DrungoHazewood

19 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He also has a 4.50FIP, 4.48xFIP, 4.79xERA, 4.37 SIERA and is giving up 31.9 HARD%. Unless you think this is the guy who is somehow beating all the models, including the ones that figure in quality of contact, then I don't see the appeal.