Let’s Be Buyers

oriolefan1035

I’m not talking crazy and suggesting to sell the farm that we finally just built. But this team has swagger and I want to see it continue to be more competitive over the remainder of this season. Give up Odor for a bag of balls and call up Vavra. Give up some spare pieces that we don’t see as part of the future and add a competent SP. If GrayRod makes it back this year and we’re still in contention, let him pitch in Baltimore. I’m not ready to give up on this team making a Wild Card push this year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

No way Elias makes the Orioles buyers this season. Now a trade for a younger player who could be part of the future is possible, but that would require trading equal talent in return.

I see Elias trading off some veteran players to pick up more prospects to add to the talent pool in the farm system.

If the Orioles are at or near .500 at the deadline, they HAVE to be buyers. The whole point of fielding a baseball team is to make the playoffs and play for a championship. The rebuild is ahead of schedule.

They can still "sell" guys like Mancini, Santander, Lyles, and Tate, but they should target prospects/young players who are blocked with big teams (Dodgers, Yankees, Padres) and also fairly close to the majors (or at the majors but not getting regular playing time). If we can trade Tate, Mancini, and/or or Santander for someone like Ryan Pepiot, we should do it and immediately insert Pepiot in the rotation.

Elias is smart enough to trade away assets that don't have a future with this team, but also make a push towards a Wild Card. It doesn't have to be one scenario (buy) or another (sell). It can be both.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, oriolefan1035 said:

I’m not talking crazy and suggesting to sell the farm that we finally just built. But this team has swagger and I want to see it continue to be more competitive over the remainder of this season. Give up Odor for a bag of balls and call up Vavra. Give up some spare pieces that we don’t see as part of the future and add a competent SP. If GrayRod makes it back this year and we’re still in contention, let him pitch in Baltimore. I’m not ready to give up on this team making a Wild Card push this year.

Part of the reason they have  "swagger" is because of Odor.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

No way.  Once we get back to playing Eastern division teams, we will be playing .400 ball at best, Unfortunately.  Heck, even Boston is playing lights out for the last month or so.

We are leading the season series against Boston (5-3)

Competitive with Tampa (4-5)

Split with Toronto (2-2)

And fairing as well as anyone else against the Yankees.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, oriolefan1035 said:

We are 20 games out with 3 in our own division in front of us. If they buy a SP that has several years of control fine. But, they should still be looking to trade Trey, Santander, Tate, and Lopez is they get aggressive bidders.

And it would be foolish to chase the wild care….perhaps tempting for fans. I doubt Elias will cave to it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We are 20 games out with 3 in our own division in front of us. If they buy a SP that has several years of control fine. But, they should still be looking to trade Trey, Santander, Tate, and Lopez is they get aggressive bidders.

And it would be foolish to chase the wild care….perhaps tempting for fans. I doubt Elias will cave to it.

I'd keep Tate, but otherwise I generally agree.

In fact, I think they could trade Mancini, Santander, and Lopez... Hopefully acquire a starter.... call up Vavra, Stowers and Henderson... and finish with a better record than had they kept the three.

I could see us trading Mancini, Santander, Mullins, Lopez, Tate and Lyles. Hopefully net a starting pitcher that can contribute immediately. Promote Stowers, Diaz,  Henderson, Westburg, Vavra , Hall and we could be just as competitive if not more.

8 hours ago, oriolefan1035 said:

What is a realistic deal that gets us a SP with multiple years of control? Probably means giving up more than spare parts.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Should be buying and selling.

When has that ever happened? Not trying to be snarky, just wondering if a team has ever approached the deadline as a buyer and a seller and successfully pulled off trades.