Let’s Be Buyers

oriolefan1035

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How much flexibility do they need?  They currently sit at about $12M over just paying everyone the MLB minimum*, while they're bringing in over $100M in shared money and 10s of $millions in MASN money.  They could add a $35M pitcher and have a lower payroll than the Rays, whose paid attendance so far this year is measured in the dozens.

* from now to the end of time I'm going to ignore the Chris Davis payments in all discussions of payroll

Hard to see the O's making less than a $50 million profit this year.  Will be interesting to see if some of those profits get spent on players and not say a new yacht or mansion renovation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

- Keep Mancini

- Trade Santander for Snell

- Trade Adam Hall for Donovan Solano 

- Trade Ortiz, Rhodes, and Diaz for Martin Perez

I'm fine with keeping Mancini if the deals aren't there. And I do like the Santander for Snell idea. As for the other two, I'm not sold. In either case, you really aren't losing anyone that major, but I'd rather just call up Henderson or Westburg than go get Solano. Sure, he's having a good season (in 99 PA) and I'd prefer him on the team to Nevin. He's been a fine role player over the last few years, I don't hate the move, but I'm lukewarm on it and would prefer to see the young guys. 

As for Perez, I'm not opposed to going out and getting a starter, but I don't want a rental if we do. I don't view our wildcard chances as that high (with or without the moves) and even if we make it and add Perez, our pitching isn't good enough to go anywhere in the postseason. I'd rather hold on to the depth and use it for something that can help in 2023 and beyond when I hope we take another step forward. 

I'd love to see us put together a package for Lopez. Even if it takes Mullins as the headline. I love Mullins but I'd like to see a player of that talent at pitcher for us. We should end up just fine in the outfield in the coming years while Lopez, hopefully, is a very solid starter for us.

Here's what the CIncinnati buzz is today heading there for the weekend.

If they are drawing down, Mike Minor, scheduled to pitch against us tomorrow, feels Jordan Lyles-ish.   I don't imagine many teams would want him at all, and a Minor acquisition next 24 hours would let Mike Elias do the Billy Beane-Ricardo Rincon thing.     Tonight, you go strike out Joey Votto!

Tyler Mahle would be much more interesting if they don't stop at Castillo, but I think even Minor might outpitch Kyle Bradish next week in Tyler Wells' absence.    Tommy Pham and Brandon Drury sound Mancini-adjacent in the matter of time zone.     Speaking of that time, Buck's Mets have just about used up their 10+ game lead on the Braves, so he might want him sooner rather than later.     If Buck has inflated a decent NYM offer, seems kind not to drag Trey to Cincinnati.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Here's what the CIncinnati buzz is today heading there for the weekend.

If they are drawing down, Mike Minor, scheduled to pitch against us tomorrow, feels Jordan Lyles-ish.   I don't imagine many teams would want him at all, and a Minor acquisition next 24 hours would let Mike Elias do the Billy Beane-Ricardo Rincon thing.     Tonight, you go strike out Joey Votto!

Tyler Mahle would be much more interesting if they don't stop at Castillo, but I think even Minor might outpitch Kyle Bradish next week in Tyler Wells' absence.    Tommy Pham and Brandon Drury sound Mancini-adjacent in the matter of time zone.     Speaking of that time, Buck's Mets have just about used up their 10+ game lead on the Braves, so he might want him sooner rather than later.     If Buck has inflated a decent NYM offer, seems kind not to drag Trey to Cincinnati.

Well except Elias is ruthless - someone said in another thread that he’d trade his mother if it benefited him.  Why be nice to Trey?  J/k but I’m pulling a JR and stopping by the GABP on Sunday on way home from an IN family trip.  Hopefully I won’t  see Spencer on the bump!