Are we having fun yet?

Pushmonkey

Contemplating seriously how Elias-Hyde might navigate clubhouse dynamics if anytime soon they gave Urias-Mateo jobs to Henderson-Westburg in the context of still trying (B-Ref's generous algorithm says 6% playoff odds for BAL today), psychobabble wise I think Odor has played himself so deeply into the culture he gets veteranosity privileges Urias-Mateo don't have.

Its 3B Henderson, SS Westburg and they hit last every day, just like rookie Jeter.    They don't "deserve" to hit ahead of the Odor-Urias 2B platoon yet.   Over the All-Star break (or last night), Hyde sensitively asks Mateo to practice some OF reps just like Manny secretly practicing 3B at Bowie in 2012.   Mateo gets McKenna's job.     Two of McKenna, Arauz, Nevin depart the MLB roster.

The 2022 Cubs, anticipating better from Stroman-Seiya, bought an entire bullpen of qualified MLB relievers - $5mm Givens, $3.5mm Robertson, $2.5mm Martin, $1.75mm Norris.     Renting all of them for 2.5 months looks like it'd cost about $5mm in $$$.    As always there are a zillion RH relievers sellers are scrounging for value.    How much for all four?     Terrin Vavra and Tyler Nevin?    Let's take them from Chicago to Tampa next weekend, and get DL Hall's feet wet before the ASB.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

When Odor had a 3-2 count on him last night, two outs in the 9th, bases empty, down by two… that exact situation has come up 522 times in the last 118 years, and the home team only won 6 of those games. Pretty incredible.

Going into Odor's at bat the Angels had a 98% chance of winning, so his PA was actually fairly low leverage (0.61). I'm a little surprised it was only 98%, because starting the ninth with a three-run lead is already something like 97%.  I'd think two out, nobody on, up two would be higher.  But that's why they do the math...

Odor taking third base on defensive indifference, while seemingly meaningless, really threw Iglesias’ concentration off.  Couple pitches later make the mistake that Adley popped into the go.  Really an incredible series of events in the 9th.  I think I’ve watched it like 5 times now.  

3 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

When Odor had a 3-2 count on him last night, two outs in the 9th, bases empty, down by two… that exact situation has come up 522 times in the last 118 years, and the home team only won 6 of those games. Pretty incredible.

Wow. Does that qualify as quantifiable veteranosity?

522 / 6 = 87 VP (veteranosity points)