2022 3rd Round Pick (#81): Nolan McLean- P - (Jr) Oklahoma State University

7 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Makes sense. Hedge your bets. 

Sounds like more to satisfy the player to me.  "Some DH AB's".     That doesn't sound like a real development plan as a hitter but maybe McLean doesn't want to close the door entirely on a positional career just yet.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Sounds like more to satisfy the player to me.  "Some DH AB's".     That doesn't sound like a real development plan as a hitter but maybe McLean doesn't want to close the door entirely on a positional career just yet.

Yea and if he bombs as a pitcher those at bats could quickly become more frequent.

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Or, maybe the team doesn’t.  Why not see what he can do with the bat, even though we drafted him primarily for his arm?   

We must have really wanted this guy. We had all night to float a number around to a multitude of players, and this is the player we ultimately decided on. Personally, I have taken a liking to the risk adverse strategy of drafting bats, but they must feel like there is some untapped potential with him being a SP.

Really hard to pass on the reliever from Tenn. 105 mph FB would probably be worth at least 3/27 on the open FA market. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Or, maybe the team doesn’t.  Why not see what he can do with the bat, even though we drafted him primarily for his arm?   

The guy has stats that stand out both good and bad as a pitcher and hitter. I’m not sure what Elias sees….I wonder if this guy is an overslot as he looks like a extreme development guy in either instance. 

As a pitcher he has the high strikeout stats but his whip is mediocre, he didn’t start, and his ERA is awful.

As a hitter the power and RBIs are impressive, he hit for average, and his walk rate was around 15%. But, he strikes out more than the Mighty Casey. 

They may have in mind that they want to see what they can develop and perhaps they see something a little more promising in his pitching. 

This is from last year when he was named a top underclass man as a hitter

3B Nolan McLean, Oklahoma State | Draft Year: 2022 | .275/.403/.569, 4 HR, 9 RBI, 14 R, 10 BB

A freak athlete that committed to the Cowboys for baseball and football. A quarterback in the fall and a slugger in the spring, McLean is one of the loudest players in the 2022 class. Big power that’s already playing in games. McLean has some swing and miss to his game, but his approach is foundational strong as he rarely expands. He shows power to all fields, and has little drop off on either side of his splits. A long term lock at third, McLean fits the hot corner prototype to a tee. 

Interesting that “He rarely expands” but this year he obviously did! They are also calling him a prototypical 3B. 

It seems like he's an elite athlete who has never really focused on developing as a pitcher. Could be a total bust, could also be an untapped big time talent. 

I mean if you're really dreaming, Jacob DeGrom was a SS in college until starting to pitch as a junior 😛 

McLean: “Few players in this Draft can match his combination of raw power and arm strength, though he has had an up-and-down year at the plate while setting an NCAA Division I record with 107 strikeouts.” -MLB.com.

Sounds like a 3B to me ….but I’m trying to find his pitch scores somewhere. Does he have heat and nothing else?

https://pokesreport.com/s/2979/oklahoma-state-baseballs-mlb-draft-primer

Miami Marlins 2022 MLB Draft preview: 3B Nolan McLean

Not only a two-sport star out of high school (threw for a combined 6,809 yards and 72 touchdowns in high school football career), McLean was also a two-way player on the baseball field where he hit a combined .381 during his prep career. Going on to Oklahoma State to play both, the 20-year-old transitioned to baseball full-time last year where McLean enjoyed an impressive 2021 season as a freshman.

And 

While some scouts originally saw McLean as a pitcher at the next level, the 20-year-old has emerged as a positional player going forward, most-likely at third base. While not the fastest runner on the basepaths, McLean has an exciting combination of power in his right-handed swing and phenomenal arm strength (grades as 70 by MLB Pipeline) that consistently sits in the upper-90’s when he is on the mound.

They obviously like his 70 arm rating

and 

While McLean would undoubtedly be an intriguing pitching prospect who already displays impressive velocity, the likely future third baseman’s power potential offensively is arguably the more intriguing tool of the two. Rated by MLB Pipeline as the No. 46 overall prospect in the 2022 MLB Draft, McLean is currently projected as either a late-first or early-second round pick, and would be an intriguing prospect to consider for the Miami Marlins.

So the Marlins liked him as a hitter or at least their writer did….gotta be intrigued that they were projecting him as a 1st or 2nd rounder 

I would not be surprised at all if he goes to Oklahoma State. Definitely a probably looking for more money than his draft slot.

https://marlinmaniac.com/2022/01/15/miami-marlins-2022-mlb-draft-preview-nolan-mclean/

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Sounds like a 3B to me ….but I’m trying to find his pitch scores somewhere. Does he have heat and nothing else?

Probably, but everybody learning the Yankees slider-sweeper has I think by now been reduced to the level of a generic prescription.     The juice in that arm, on the other hand...