2022 3rd Round Pick (#81): Nolan McLean- P - (Jr) Oklahoma State University

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Correction.  I think this means no matter what, they went into the overage funds.   McLean is either slot, below are not signed at all.  They wouldn't be able to go over on him without incurring the penalty of losing picks.

Well, technically, they can go over by 5% of his slot amount, or about $40K.

• Upvote 1

I get the feeling that the offer is on the table and it's a take it or leave it and just waiting for McLean's advisor and McLean to make the call.   Maybe they wanted overslot and the O's didn't want to budge or had to make the choice between McLean and Young.

Or ................. the physical!

Edited by RZNJ

Negotiations are hard. They can be taken very personally. I really hope McLean takes the deal the O’s can give him at this point. It’s probably the smart thing to do both professionally and financially.

His leverage was this year, and as a pitcher he carries injury risk. Not to mention the O’s are probably one of the better orgs to develop with. 

He should sign and start to build himself into a multi-millionaire second contract guy.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I get the feeling that the offer is on the table and it's a take it or leave it and just waiting for McLean's advisor and McLean to make the call.   Maybe they wanted overslot and the O's didn't want to budge or had to make the choice between McLean and Young.

Or ................. the physical!

Make that a choice between McLean and Young + extra 2023 3rd round pick. Can totally see why they'd go with the latter there.

Edited by terpfan101
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Timing makes this feel like they chose the Young deal over the McClean deal. Hope I’m wrong and we can get both.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Elias told each of them the O's best offer, first one to take it gets it.  

1 minute ago, yark14 said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Elias told each of them the O's best offer, first one to take it gets it.  

Doesn't really make sense though.   They should have had a pretty good idea what McLean's number was before they took him as the first pick on day two.   Either they misread his advisor, his advisor tried to leverage for more, something happened on the physical, OR he's signing for slot or close to it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, seak05 said:

McLean officially doesn't sign, highest draft pick not to (although Mets also had a 3rd rounder not sign). I'm thinking either his number changed, or something happened on the physical 

Disappointing but getting the pick for next year softens the blow.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Doesn't really make sense though.   They should have had a pretty good idea what McLean's number was before they took him as the first pick on day two.   Either they misread his advisor, his advisor tried to leverage for more, something happened on the physical, OR he's signing for slot or close to it.

Elias should have had excellent insight into the Okie State program. Will be interesting to see what went sideways.