2022 3rd Round Pick (#81): Nolan McLean- P - (Jr) Oklahoma State University

13 minutes ago, seak05 said:

It seems like he's an elite athlete who has never really focused on developing as a pitcher. Could be a total bust, could also be an untapped big time talent. 

I mean if you're really dreaming, Jacob DeGrom was a SS in college until starting to pitch as a junior 😛 

Maybe a little more realistic, Givens was a SS in our system for a few years before becoming a pitcher. 

In the video he looks like a position player who came in to pitch, meaning it looks like he has very little training about weight shift and balance points and all that stuff.    If he's throwing 94-95 like that I imagine they are thinking there's a lot more in the tank.

33 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

BTW, his coach where he’s committed to play college ball is his uncle at Oklahoma State. So if he’s not liking what he’s hearing he probably goes back to school

https://pokesreport.com/s/2979/oklahoma-state-baseballs-mlb-draft-primer

So you think he'll say no to $8M? Do you think maybe the front office discussed that with the family before picking him?

12 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

So you think he'll say no to $8M? Do you think maybe the front office discussed that with the family before picking him?

You mean $800,000? 

Bonuses              

Rd Pk Player Pos Slot Spent Savings
1. 1     $8,842,200    
1a. 33     $2,313,900    
2. 42     $1,861,000    
2b. 67     $1,026,300    
3. 81     $793,600    
4. 107     $571,100    
5. 137     $426,600    
6. 167     $319,600    
7. 197     $249,000    
8. 227     $197,200    
9. 257     $167,800    
10. 287     $155,700    
Total     $16,924,000

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

You mean $800,000? 

You linked an article about Jackson Holliday, who's Uncle is the Head Coach at Oklahoma State. You presented this as if you're the first person on earth who discovered that the #1 pick in the draft is committed to  Oklahoma State to play for his Uncle. 

And you did all that in a thread about Nolan McLean, who plays at Oklahoma State. 

Do you think the O's are going to offer Jackson Holliday $800,000? Or do you mean Nolan McLean might want to go to Okla State, even though he's been playing there for years?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

You linked an article about Jackson Holliday, who's Uncle is the Head Coach at Oklahoma State. You presented this as if you're the first person on earth who discovered that the #1 pick in the draft is committed to  Oklahoma State to play for his Uncle. 

And you did all that in a thread about Nolan McLean, who plays at Oklahoma State. 

Do you think the O's are going to offer Jackson Holliday $800,000? Or do you mean Nolan McLean might want to go to Okla State, even though he's been playing there for years?

Yeah ….the article got me. I was fishing around to see his pitching profile. Didn’t realize both guys were in the article. I was skimming…

I could see Nolan expecting to want to be overpaid since he was projected to go in 1 or 2. Plus if he doesn’t like the Orioles plan. He looks like he has 2 more years.

• Tony-OH changed the title to 2022 3rd Round Pick (#81): Nolan McLean- P - (Jr) Oklahoma State University
  • 2 weeks later...

Oklahoma State HC Josh Holliday On Orioles Picks Jackson Holliday, Nolan McLean - PressBox (pressboxonline.com)

“He reminds me of a Trevor Rosenthal on the mound when Trevor was saving 50 games for the Cardinals,” Holliday said. “… I see similarities where he can be an elite closer in the major leagues.”

At the plate, McLean had a very successful sophomore season for the Cowboys, finishing with a slash line of .285/.397/.595 and slugging 19 home runs in 64 games.

This past season, McLean was honored by his conference for his performance both on the mound and at the plate. McLean was named to the All-Big 12 First Team as a utility player and to the All-Big 12 Second Team as a pitcher.

According to his coach, McLean “has immense raw power, probably as good as anyone in this draft.” Despite that, McLean’s fastest path to the big leagues looks to be on the mound.

“As a hitter, he’s a really good prospect,” Holliday said. “As a pitcher, he’s an elite prospect,”

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Woah 1.325 for young

I would have preferred Walters out of the two but hopefully this guy turns into something.   This means that McLean would have to basically be slot or the Orioles go into the overage, which they've never done before.   Of course, he could mean they aren't signing McLean as well.   Getting McLean and this guy would be pretty nice.   I didn't think they'd sign Walters or Young.   

Correction.  I think this means no matter what, they went into the overage funds.   McLean is either slot, below are not signed at all.  They wouldn't be able to go over on him without incurring the penalty of losing picks.

Edited by RZNJ