Rutschman vs Witt

Filmstudy

I think both will be very good players.  I think age and position mean that the bulk of AR best years will be while under Oriole control.  Could he play 10 years of peak ball?  Perhaps.  Witt, will likely hit his peak near the end of KC's control.

Without investing more dollars, I believe the only way the Royals win, is to trade Witt at peak value.  

Who is the better player is almost irrelevant.  The better value to the team is the measure you want and I think it is likely that the O's win there with Adley.  2cents

• Upvote 3

GIDP is not a clean stat, but: even though Witt is a base-stealer who runs 90 ft. a lot faster than Rutschman, Adley has grounded into only one DP, while Witt has done it 9 times in twice as many plate appearances.

Just now, LA2 said:

GIDP is not a clean stat, but: even though Witt is a base-stealer and Rutschman is not, Adley has grounded into only one DP, while Witt has done it 9 times in twice as many plate appearances.

Not clean indeed.

That is something I wouldn't pay any attention to.

It might point to Witt hitting more ground balls.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd say it looks pretty close and it is way too early to tell which has the better career. I am certainly happy with Adley's production and everything he has brought to our team.

How are you calculating .515 vs .497? Does it factor in that Adley has accumulated his WAR in approximately half the AB's as Witt? Adjusting for AB's, bbref has Adley significantly better than Witt, Fangraphs less so. 

Those numbers come from BB-ref.   If you look at the player’s page under “Player Value — Batting,” there’s a column labeled “waaWL%”.   That’s where you’ll find those numbers the definition of that column is “the win-loss of an otherwise average team in ONLY the games this player played in.”

Frankly that one’s a little arcane for me.  

I personally wanted them to take CJ Abrams.  With that said, I am perfectly satisfied with the pick. Henderson up next year and you have a comprable player at SS and possibly one of the best catchers in baseball. If they picked Witt or Abrams, catcher would be a black hole. I would have to quite watching baseball if they had Severino back there again. 

Catcher is way more valuable defensively than SS. It's actually not even really close and in any case, Adley is a better defensive catcher than Witt is a SS. In his peak years, I think Adley will consistently have a higher WAR than Witt.  He already has a higher bWAR and is creeping up close to Witt in fWAR with an OBP hovering near .300 which is certain to go up pretty substantially. 

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not for me..plus the SS can play that position, in all likelihood, longer than C do.

Positional advantage goes to catcher.   Do you disregard all of the sites that give more importance to the catching position?

Have the precise draft pick awards been pinned down?    I figure will be either Comp A or Comp B, but haven't learned which, or even if it could scale based on strength of the eligible rookie's performance.

Based on last 48 hours, the carrot might be a Dylan Beavers or Jud Fabian.     Assuming your Adley can outplay the other guy's Witt and Julio...you might get nothing.     Elias figures in Gunnar-Grayson-DL-Westburg to have four aimed shots at the 2023 podium.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Positional advantage goes to catcher.   Do you disregard all of the sites that give more importance to the catching position?

I think the C position is overrated.  Yes, getting premium offense out of that position is harder than anywhere else, that I agree with.  But the defensive side of things means something to me and I think C defense is way overrated.