Rutschman vs Witt

Filmstudy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why?  If I’m drafting a guy 1, I’m hoping to have them for 8-10 years, not 4-6.

Because you only have control for 6-7 years.  After that they are allowed to slip the yoke and play for anyone.

Since free will is now in play you don't plan around having them.

If you sign a guy to a three year deal you don't plan around them being there in year five right?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  No problem.  So you think they are wrong as far as the defensive value they attach to the position.

On one hand you have years of analysis and unbelievable amounts of data.

On the other hand you got some dude at his computer.

Gotta side with Sportsguy on this one, he obviously is the expect.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the C position is overrated.  Yes, getting premium offense out of that position is harder than anywhere else, that I agree with.  But the defensive side of things means something to me and I think C defense is way overrated.

Did you watch Pedro Severino the last few years? Pretty good hitter, apparently a great teammate, but his defensive weakness really hurt the team. 

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  No problem.  So you think they are wrong as far as the defensive value they attach to the position.

Yea I think people place too high of an importance on the C position and the C stats we have are poor and are all to be taken with a grain of salt. 

Add in the decrease in the run game and more pitches being called from the dugouts and i feel the position is valued too high defensively.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I think people place too high of an importance on the C position and the C stats we have are poor and are all to be taken with a grain of salt. 

Add in the decrease in the run game and more pitches being called from the dugouts and i feel the position is valued too high defensively.

I think that laymen overestimate the value of middle infielders with the increase in fly balls and strike outs.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think that laymen overestimate the value of middle infielders with the increase in fly balls and strike outs.

If the game continues to go the way it is, this may become true as well.  Things evolve.  Things change.

Now, if they ban the shift, the flyball stuff will start to dissipate imo, at least to the level it is.

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Seems strange to me to be analyzing which .200ish hitter the O's should have chosen. 

Using this SSS maybe the O's should have selected Andrew Vaughn. 

Adley already has more WAR this season than Vaughn does in 199 ML games.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because you only have control for 6-7 years.  After that they are allowed to slip the yoke and play for anyone.

Since free will is now in play you don't plan around having them.

If you sign a guy to a three year deal you don't plan around them being there in year five right?

Because my plan would be to extend them early.

And yes, they may not do it but my thought process when I draft them 1 isn’t, well they are leaving after their service time is up.  My thought process is that I’m drafting a guy to have for a decade and that is the same as any GMs thought process when drafting that high.  You are hoping to get a franchise, cornerstone player and those aren’t players you want to lose too early.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And yes, they may not do it but my thought process when I draft them 1 isn’t, well they are leaving after their service time is up.  My thought process is that I’m drafting a guy to have for a decade and that is the same as any GMs thought process when drafting that high.  You are hoping to get a franchise, cornerstone player and those aren’t players you want to lose too early.

I strongly disagree with your thought process.

I'm not basing my draft on if a 17 year old is going to sign an extension in five years.

Interesting how many big C prospects there are right now, according to MLB Pipeline you've got 2) Álvarez, 6) Moreno, 13) Cartaya, 17) Davis, 31) Langeliers 35) Soderstrom, and we've just seen two interesting prospects drafted in Parada and Susac. 

Am I wrong in worrying that Adley's skillset as a top catcher will become a bit less rare in the coming years? Or is this just your usual list of prospects and there will be attrition with only a few making it? 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the C position is overrated.  Yes, getting premium offense out of that position is harder than anywhere else, that I agree with.  But the defensive side of things means something to me and I think C defense is way overrated.

You would think after watching Severino and AR, you would value the difference between one of the worst catchers and one of the best. 

11 minutes ago, sevastras said:

You would think after watching Severino and AR, you would value the difference between one of the worst catchers and one of the best. 

And yet, Adley can’t throw anyone out and that is one of the things people put on a pedestal when it comes to C defense.  In fact, his throwing has looked pretty poor.  

And btw, im not saying it’s not important.  Defense is important everywhere but I don’t think people have any idea how to properly gage it.

People actually thought Chirinos  was a big reason we were pitching better, yet his WAR is worse than a replacement player.  

It’s all overblown.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Like Manny?