Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

On 7/30/2022 at 12:39 PM, Ripken said:

Similar, yes, but not quite only because Gunnar is ridiculous and doesn't really have comps (Jordan Walker?) so he's the best player of the four you mentioned.  That said, Marte is a 20 year old, High A SS and is a Top 20 prospect.  He was the Mariners' #1 and is now the Reds' #1.  He is very special and, being a few months younger than Gunnar, could enter the same stratosphere.  Arroyo looks very similar but he's 18 and switch hits.  Stoudt is an interesting arm, kind of Baumann-ish.

Ahh, thank you for the analysis. 

30 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Move Mancini.  Keep Santander.  He is going better in the field, has more control, and can allow the Orioles to keep in contention. 

I think that they should definitely move Mancini and a BP arm or two. I think you move Santander if the price is right. I’d like to see McKenna get more of a chance to play. 

We need to do something about Odor, Nevin, and Chirinos. We have too many guys hitting under .210. 

Honestly, I’d trade for a backup catcher that can hit or bring up Nottingham who has a .761 OPS despite hitting .223. Or Cumberland .739. They can’t be any worse. 

Odor is a rah rah guy but his bat is done. And Nevin can be sent back down. Honestly, he really hasn’t gotten a chance to play everyday. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

With Santander's hot bat, you would think he'd have a lot of value to a playoff contender.  Or a non playoff contender, like the Marlins, for Pablo Lopez.  Any chance at all that Santander for Lopez would work? 

Man Santander is the ONLY one besides Adley that's hitting right now. Would be hard to let him go. I still don't want Mancini traded either. Lopez to me is the only one they should part with right now.

4 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Man Santander is the ONLY one besides Adley that's hitting right now. Would be hard to let him go. I still don't want Mancini traded either. Lopez to me is the only one they should part with right now.

Santander has been fun to watch lately and I have always liked him, even back in 2017-18.  But the Orioles have outfield depth, not starting pitching depth, in the minors.  And Lopez is under control for two more years after this and has pitched well for nearly two years straight.  Santander has a history of injury problems and problems with consistency.  If you can trade Santander for Lopez, you do it.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think that they should definitely move Mancini and a BP arm or two. I think you move Santander if the price is right. I’d like to see McKenna get more of a chance to play. 

We need to do something about Odor, Nevin, and Chirinos. We have too many guys hitting under .210. 

Honestly, I’d trade for a backup catcher that can hit or bring up Nottingham who has a .761 OPS despite hitting .223. Or Cumberland .739. They can’t be any worse. 

Odor is a rah rah guy but his bat is done. And Nevin can be sent back down. Honestly, he really hasn’t gotten a chance to play everyday. 

McKenna is awful, man. He's a pinch runner.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Chirinos is soooo frustrating.  What in the world happened to him?  I thought he'd be a solid defender and post an OPS in the .700s, as he had done for most of his career (save 2020 and his first season or two).  He is an automatic out now. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Chirinos is soooo frustrating.  What in the world happened to him?  I thought he'd be a solid defender and post an OPS in the .700s, as he had done for most of his career (save 2020 and his first season or two).  He is an automatic out now. 

He's old (for a catcher).

I've been on board for Maverick, if we have to have a backup that can't hit he can at least defend and run.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, KillerTofu said:

He’s only gotten 68 ABs YTD, and 197 last year which would have been his rookie year.his AAA ops was 1.106 and .888 the last two years.

And he’s hitting better than Odor, Chirinos, Nevin, and Mateo. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, KillerTofu said:

McKenna is kind of an ideal 4th OFer. Can play CF, great defensive replacement or pinch runner, not too bad with the bat. I don’t think he’ll ever hit enough to be an everyday starter, but I’m not sure what else you’d want from your 4th OFer…

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's old (for a catcher).

I've been on board for Maverick, if we have to have a backup that can't hit he can at least defend and run.

Maverick Handley is probably the best upper minors catcher when it comes to combining plus defense with at least some ability to control the zone a bit. With Rutschman's ability to hit left-handed (switch) he could very well be in the running for the backup job next year.

46 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maverick Handley is probably the best upper minors catcher when it comes to combining plus defense with at least some ability to control the zone a bit. With Rutschman's ability to hit left-handed (switch) he could very well be in the running for the backup job next year.

I have said Handley is the best defensive catcher I have ever seen. He is better than Adley defensively. If he could hit just a tiny bit, I would take him as a backup catcher for the next 7 years. He is probably and upgrade over Chirino right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Sorry, but if McKenna plays more he'll just be another of the .210 hitters.   He's awful unless he totally remakes himself.   He's got talent but he can't hit and his instincts in the field and on the bases aren't all that great either.   Otherwise, I like him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1