Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander is definitely helping his cause to be traded.

I am increasingly thinking the Padres may look to him as a consolation prize for Soto. He would bring some much-needed thump to an OF that's desperately lacking any. Would be a superior DH option to Voit and Hosmer on any given day as well.

13 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I am increasingly thinking the Padres may look to him as a consolation prize for Soto. He would bring some much-needed thump to an OF that's desperately lacking any. Would be a superior DH option to Voit and Hosmer on any given day as well.

Supposedly if the Padres miss on Soto, they'll pivot to Contreras+Happ+Robertson from the Cubs. 

30 hours out, it is mouthwatering so little has happened.    I believe when Elias says 30 GMs are generally flat, some of what it means is that teams will very freely exchange both minor and major pieces to the teams having successful seasons.

The curious case of Juan Soto though is perhaps a generational bottleneck, as Rizzo sifts at least competing Dodgers-Padres bids once again, and many other sellers probably hope to get AJ Preller on tilt if/when he loses again.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

30 hours out, it is mouthwatering so little has happened.    I believe when Elias says 30 GMs are generally flat, some of what it means is that teams will very freely exchange both minor and major pieces to the teams having successful seasons.

The curious case of Juan Soto though is perhaps a generational bottleneck, as Rizzo sifts at least competing Dodgers-Padres bids once again, and many other sellers probably hope to get AJ Preller on tilt if/when he loses again.

I saw a tweet that said last year in the days leading up to the deadline, there was like 1 trade 4 days out, 2 trades 3 days out, etc... and then like 29 on the deadline day.

Nothing will happen until Tuesday really. 

This trade deadline has a potential to be a really big deal for one major reason, a reason that hasn’t really been discussed much at all….Will ownership agree to take on real salary?  Will they eat salary if it means a bigger return? (This May really only apply to Mancini though)

If, for example, Santander for Snell is possible, will ownership pull that trigger?  

My expectations start with "they're standing pat" and go from there. 

Elias' trades have either been very obvious (Givens, Cashner, Bundy, Iglesias, etc), clear salary dumps (Cobb), or something not quite expected but still not very consequential (Castro, Sulser, Scott). 

I think if you're expecting exciting "buy" moves, you're going to be disappointed. I think there's a much higher chance something like that happens in the offseason. I think they need to get a look at Henderson and some other prospects before they're going to be comfortable trading prospects.

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don’t get a vibe from Roch this morning that the O’s intend on buying anything. Looks like the only question is how much they sell. 

Roch is definitely saying Elias is selling in that article. Saying Lyles is available. Im not expecting much for Mancini as the article suggests his trade value is negligible at best.

12 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Roch is definitely saying Elias is selling in that article. Saying Lyles is available. Im not expecting much for Mancini as the article suggests his trade value is negligible at best.

I think Roch is right to not even mention buying. But I also think the article is mostly just him going through who are the most obvious sell candidates on the roster. Mancini, Santander, Tate, Lyles, Urias, etc. They're all chips in one way or another. But as always with Roch, I don't think much of it is coming from inside knowledge. He's just musing.