WaPo’s Chelsea Janes on the O’s deadline dilemma

Frobby

Good article here by the Post’s Chelsea Janes on the dilemma the O’s face at the deadline.   I’ll only quote the first and last paragraphs:

“The defining characters in the Baltimore Orioles’ clubhouse are not well-known to those outside it. Many of the central figures in this year’s unexpected revival are likely to be gone by the time the Orioles make the playoffs again. Some might be gone by Tuesday’s trade deadline — if General Manager Mike Elias decides being a postseason long shot isn’t worth missing the chance to add talent for a more promising future.”

“Maybe some of these [younger] Orioles will grow into stars like those, the next core. The franchise seems to be counting on it — and determined to wait for it, even if it means jettisoning those who helped hasten progress this year. Perhaps, in hindsight, this deadline will be a pivotal one to vaulting the Orioles out of their rebuild and into contention. Perhaps, someday, this team will seem quaint by comparison to the rollicking annual winners Elias hopes to generate. But for now, this group may be the most treasured .500 team baseball has seen in some time — one that no one in that clubhouse will soon forget.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/27/baltimore-orioles-trade-deadline/

Edited by Frobby

Yeah.  I would not want to be in Elias' shoes right now.  I still think it's an easy call for me to make me personally - as much fun as this season has become, I just don't see this team as good enough yet to make the playoffs, and if that's the case, we should be looking to next year.  But that's a hard message to sell to the fanbase, and even possibly the players in the clubhouse at this point.

• Upvote 2

• Frobby changed the title to WaPo’s Chelsea Janes on the O’s deadline dilemma

What are we supposed to do, sign Mancini and Odor to five-year extensions? These guys are going to be gone sooner rather than later, and the rest of the club needs to be grown-ass men about it. The sooner Mancini and Odor are gone, the sooner someone who has a future with this club can step up into a leadership role in the clubhouse

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

What are we supposed to do, sign Mancini and Odor to five-year extensions? These guys are going to be gone sooner rather than later, and the rest of the club needs to be grown-ass men about it. The sooner Mancini and Odor are gone, the sooner someone who has a future with this club can step up into a leadership role in the clubhouse

I agree wholeheartedly with the above but I do understand the longing for a winner, as I'm sure you do.

There is some magic afoot. 

It's a legit dilemma, but holy crap what a wonderful dilemma to have. We'll see what Elias decides over the next 4-5 days, but given where we are right now, I'm good with whatever he does. 

Strange use of the word "stars."  While they are good players, I wouldn't characterize any of the players we may potentially trade as "stars."    Which is why we are willing to trade them. That along with the belief/hope that the players we have behind them in the farm will become actual "stars."  

• Upvote 1

I just don’t see the dilemma. Mancini can be replaced by Stowers. He’s not coming back next year anyway. If you can get a couple of minor league pitchers that could be able to help us down the road, trade him. Odor needs to be moved just because Hyder doesn’t know he can sit on the bench. If we get a good return for Santander, trade him too. If not, look around this off-season. 

Wells going out last night really highlights how we are out of SP now. 

Edited by waroriole

This is a fun team to watch, no doubt, and their surprisingly good play of late may cause me to change my approach a bit if I'm Elias, but it doesn't change the overall view of the team. He should make deals this deadline looking towards 2023 and 2024. The only "buying" he should be looking to do is controllable starting pitching. And I still think he should explore deals for Mancini, Santander, and Tate. I also think he should listen on Mullins and others. 

That all said, the threshold to actually deal Mancini (and the others) is a bit higher. I'm not dealing Mancini for a couple lottery tickets whereas if this team was on its way to another 100 loss season, I would be dealing him for the best package available even if that was a less than ideal package. 

18 minutes ago, Low Country Bird said:

Strange use of the word "stars."  While they are good players, I wouldn't characterize any of the players we may potentially trade as "stars."    Which is why we are willing to trade them. That along with the belief/hope that the players we have behind them in the farm will become actual "stars."  

Its funny because its the opposite  of the Buck teams that were "Stars and scrubs". This team is filled with average to above average players. 

Edited by Orioles0615

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Good article here by the Post’s Chelsea Janes on the dilemma the O’s face at the deadline.   I’ll only quote the first and last paragraphs:

“The defining characters in the Baltimore Orioles’ clubhouse are not well-known to those outside it. Many of the central figures in this year’s unexpected revival are likely to be gone by the time the Orioles make the playoffs again. Some might be gone by Tuesday’s trade deadline — if General Manager Mike Elias decides being a postseason long shot isn’t worth missing the chance to add talent for a more promising future.”

“Maybe some of these [younger] Orioles will grow into stars like those, the next core. The franchise seems to be counting on it — and determined to wait for it, even if it means jettisoning those who helped hasten progress this year. Perhaps, in hindsight, this deadline will be a pivotal one to vaulting the Orioles out of their rebuild and into contention. Perhaps, someday, this team will seem quaint by comparison to the rollicking annual winners Elias hopes to generate. But for now, this group may be the most treasured .500 team baseball has seen in some time — one that no one in that clubhouse will soon forget.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/27/baltimore-orioles-trade-deadline/

No dilemma imo. I just don’t see Elias selling prospects that took 4 tears building. I could see him giving up a Cashner type return for Jose Quintana. Boy they look very similar to Andrew’s good year and his season average. I could also see a salary dump acquisition if he has the leeway to add some payroll. I think there is zero chance any of our top 20 goes in a trade. Also I don’t think it prevents trades of Mancini , Santander or Lopez if the return warrants it. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I just don’t see the dilemma. Mancini can be replaced by Stowers. He’s not coming back next year anyway. If you can get a couple of minor league pitchers that could be able to help us down the road, trade him. Odor needs to be moved just because Hyder doesn’t know he can sit on the bench. If we get a good return for Santander, trade him too. If not, look around this off-season. 

Wells going out last night really highlights how we are out of SP now. 

First of all Odor is on the bench today, so clearly Hyde isn't in the dark on the bench issue with him.

Second, we have three guys waiting to replace Wells - Bradish, Harvey, Zimmerman.   And actually Hall too, though it seems doubtful they go that way.  Him going down is far from ideal but far from a back breaker, if any of those guys can step up a little bit.

Sell:

Mateo, promote Henderson.

Mancini, promote Stowers

Santander, promote Cowser

Lyles, promote Bradish

DFA:

Odor, promote Westburg.

Promote Hall and Harvey to fill pitching gaps.

No chance this happens, but not sure why not other than slow playing the rebuild.