The waiver wire guys

Frobby

I think it is impressive Elias was able to identify all of this talent and it bring it in, and I don't want to discount that.  However, when you have a top waiver wire priority spot and the ability to give guys a real chance to play because you don't have any major league talent on your roster, you should have a few guys stick.  That being said, Urias, Lopez and Mateo specifically do look like some really good pick ups.

One of the most impressive things about the Elias regime has been the success of some of the waiver wire and Rule 5 players.  Sure, not all have panned out, but to have so many guys who are currently being so instrumental to our playing good baseball right now is really amazing.  

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think it is impressive Elias was able to identify all of this talent and it bring it in, and I don't want to discount that.  However, when you have a top waiver wire priority spot and the ability to give guys a real chance to play because you don't have any major league talent on your roster, you should have a few guys stick.  That being said, Urias, Lopez and Mateo specifically do look like some really good pick ups.

Some of these guys (Mateo, Voth) had to go through all of the National League teams first before we got a crack at them, didn't they?     Unless it's changed, I thought the waiver wire goes through all of the teams in that player's league before the other leagues teams get a chance.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Some of these guys (Mateo, Voth) had to go through all of the National League teams first before we got a crack at them, didn't they?     Unless it's changed, I thought the waiver wire goes through all of the teams in that player's league before the other leagues teams get a chance.

I think that is correct but in general just saying we have had some high priorities to pick up guys the past few years.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

He has a 3.38 ERA since coming to the Orioles, what do you want?

Yeah easy on Voth, he's doing what's asked of him.

I think Felix Bautista was a DD pick up, but kudos to Elias staff to developing him 

4 minutes ago, Getz said:

He only has 10 starts and has been playing behind a great defense which has helped him a lot to get those numbers.

Other than the number of starts, you could say the same thing about all our pitchers, starts and bullpen.  Sure, they have good numbers in part because of our defense playing at a high level.  Doesn't change the fact that one of those pitchers putting up good numbers is Voth, who we basically picked up out of the garbage.  I don't think he's a nugget or a long term solution but he's certainly pitched well enough that I don't cringe when I see he's pitching.  

32 minutes ago, Getz said:

He only has 10 starts and has been playing behind a great defense which has helped him a lot to get those numbers.

To be fair, the OP did say "there are a few guys listed above who may be flashes in the pan whose value is illusory". I think your concerns about Voth could be categorized in that group. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Earlier in Mike Elias’ tenure, there was criticism that he hadn’t found much value on the waiver wire and other bargain basement transactions.   But he’s really turned that around since 2020.

Feb. 2020 - Ramon Urias claimed.

Aug. 2020 - Jorge Lopez claimed.

Aug. 2021 - Jorge Mateo claimed.

Sept. 2021 - Joey Krehbiel claimed.

Nov. 2021 - Cionel Perez claimed.

Nov. 2021 - Brian Baker claimed.  

June 2022 - Alex Voth claimed.

With these, you could toss in the Dec. 2020 Rule 5 selection of Tyler Wells and the Jan. 2021 signing of Spenser Watkins (who was released but resigned for 2022).

Now, I could point out some other waiver wire selections or other bargain basement acquisitions since 2020 that didn’t work out, and there are a few guys listed above who may be flashes in the pan whose value is illusory.  But for right now, the listed waiver guys have provided 10.2 rWAR of value this year, and Wells and Watkins another 1.9.   Not too shabby.

It certainly helps being #1 on the waiver wire claim during this time, but yes, I agree, Elias/Sig have found some good ones on the waiver wire since 2020. I was going to go back and do some analysis to see what they learned from the initial failures but haven't had time.