Is Mountcastle the guy to move?

bpilktree

I would certainly listen to offers. He's great when hot but overall he's just not a disciplined hitter. He's right handed and not a great fit for the new Camden Yards. I would not be upset at all if we traded him for reasonable value in return. I would also say the same for Hays. I'm not sure why he seems to be off the table while people are talking about trading Mullins. 

26 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Big Mountcastle fan.  Just in a bad offensive funk now.  Don’t make decisions to move a player after a bad three weeks.  Just like you don’t put him in the HoF after the June he had.

His July was a total stinker. Very, very disappointing. I didn't expect him to repeat his June performance, but I was really optimistic that we were going to get "the good" Mountcastle for the rest of the season. Unfortunately not. 

13 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

His July was a total stinker. Very, very disappointing. I didn't expect him to repeat his June performance, but I was really optimistic that we were going to get "the good" Mountcastle for the rest of the season. Unfortunately not. 

I don’t know why people keep thinking the month long streakiness will continue. In 3 seasons now, he’s basically shown this is all he is. He doesn’t even hit with a lot of power. No need for him to be playing every day unless he’s locked in. 

1 hour ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

The pecking order at 1B right now is Mountcastle, Mancini and Nevens.  There are no other 1B in sight.  Mayo and one of the prospect outfielders will be the next 1B up.

Yeah there's no one left to play 1B. Mayo would be a waste over there considering his arm. Mancini isn't going to be here next year. So you're leaving yourself with no true 1B unless there's a free agent out there. 

Mountcastle will get hot again. 

I would definitely not trade Mountcastle for Urquidy.  Urquidy is a league average starter with bad peripherals, with plenty of downside risk of turning into Russ Ortiz.  Mountcastle is more valuable today and has more upside.   

I'm open to trading Mountcastle for a good return, but right now Mountcastle is being undervalued because (a) he's having a bad month, and (b) he's been an extremely unlucky hitter this year in terms of having quality contact turn into outs.  Just this week he's missed an opposite field home run by a couple of feet, including one that would have tied the game in the 10th against the Rays.  

2 hours ago, mrbig1 said:

Let's remember that Eddie Murray was a hot and cold hitter. He is still young. I'm willing to stick with him for now.

I remember Steady Eddie as being steady.  I'll look up more years but in 1983 he had over a .900 OPS for the year and his lowest OPS by month was .788 in May.   Not exactly super cold.   I remember him being very consistent throughout the year.

1978 - 669 OPS in May

1979- .731 OPS in June

1980 - .732 OPS in May

1981 - .364 in April (only 10 games - strike year) no other month below .800

1982 - .652 in May

1983 - .788 in May

1984 - lowest OPS was .755

1985 - .800 in May

1986 - .771 in July

Eddie really was very steady but May was not his month for some reason.

Edited by RZNJ

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah there's no one left to play 1B. Mayo would be a waste over there considering his arm. Mancini isn't going to be here next year. So you're leaving yourself with no true 1B unless there's a free agent out there. 

I hope Mayo is a capable 3B or RF but I wouldn't play him at those positions JUST BECAUSE he has a great arm.   If he's not at least average at those positions, he should be considered for 1B.  While it might be a waste of his great arm it might be his best position and the best fit for the team down the road.

• Upvote 1

Trey is on the way out the door, either in the next few days or at the end of the season, and Mountcastle is his younger, cheaper, controllable replacement, and there are no other 1Bs in the organization that are knocking at the door, so why on Earth would we trade Mountcastle and open up a hole?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

Whether Mountcastle will get hot again isn’t the issue.  I’m sure he will.  The bottom line is, when the year is over, how are his overall numbers, and do you mind having a guy who runs so hot and cold to get there?  And will he remain that type of player?

I’m actually kind of astounded how his 2022 is paralleling his 2021 almost exactly so far.  

Mountcastle is overall good and reports that his defense are good are surprising but good to hear.   However, replacing him with someone who provides equal value from inside the system, I don't think will be that difficult.     I could see converting Stowers, Westburg, Vavra) to 1B under different scenarios.    Look at Urias.    Can Urias overall give you the offense and defense of Mountcastle at 1B?     I think it's certainly comparable.    We are going to have more players than spots available at 3B/SS/2B by next April.     Urias/Mateo/Henderson/Westburg/Vavra.   Ortiz could even be in the picture.  In the outfield Hays/Mullins/Santander/Stowers with Cowser possibly in the picture. 

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Whether Mountcastle will get hot again isn’t the issue.  I’m sure he will.  The bottom line is, when the year is over, how are his overall numbers, and do you mind having a guy who runs so hot and cold to get there?  And will he remain that type of player?

I’m actually kind of astounded how his 2022 is paralleling his 2021 almost exactly so far.  

It makes fine sense to trade Mountcastle if they don't think he's the guy, but for me I just look at like, who the heck is going to play 1B in a year where you hope to be pretty good? I dunno. He's flawed but he's the best option in the whole organization I'd argue. You'd have to turn to free agency to fill a hole you already had filled.