Poll: What’s your view of the Mancini trade?

Frobby

What’s your view of the Mancini trade  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your view of the Mancini trade?

• Don’t like it - I didn’t want to trade him
    • Don’t like it - the return wasn’t enough
    • OK with it -we needed to get what we could even if a little disappointed with the return
    • Like it - very solid return for Mancini
    • Love it - really surprised we got that much for Mancini

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/06/22 at 16:38

I said like it, to be honest I love the return, a lot more than I expected.  I couldn't hit submit on the "love it" option though because even though it was the right move to trade him it still hurts to see Mancini go.  Especially when we have winning record.

• Upvote 2

I recognize that it was a good move to trade him and that the prospects are better than what we could have expected. 

But I just don’t feel totally excited about a guy that can’t throw strikes and another that is unbelievably far from being ready yet needs almost immediate action to retain him. I can easily envision Johnson being left off the roster this off-season and being taken in the rule 5 or being added to the roster and then just not being ready by 2026 to have a permanent place on the active roster. I can also easily envision McDermott having even more struggles as he gets to the upper minors as his competition will be even less likely to swing and his walks go up even further. 

Again, I recognize that it was a return for a rental DH/1B so to get two prospects that land at #8 and #12 on an already solid farm system seems like a win. I just  have a hard time believing these two players are going to have any more impact than what they got in return for Schoop or Cashner.

Pleasantly surprised Elias was able to get this much. I did not want to see Mancini dealt for A-ball lottery tickets but these guys are more than that immediately being slotted well up into our list of top prospects and clearing some room on the major league roster for the young talent coming up at the same time. Elias really knows what he's doing, let's just hope the purse strings get loosened starting this offseason to start rounding this thing out. 

I'm happy for Trey. Not only does he get to participate in playoff baseball on a top 5 team, but he will get a national stage to showcase his talents before hitting free agency. Doesn't much matter whether we got much back this trade was what was best for Trey and I'm glad Elias worked something out.

• Frobby changed the title to Poll: What’s your view of the Mancini trade?
33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So what’s your true feelings?  

I love the trade and just the thought process behind it.

Where I differ is the solid return vs surprise.  Maybe it’s just semantics but for me, I’m not surprised the return is solid although I never would have guessed a Johnson level prospect but the injury changes that equation.

The likelihood, like so many mid season trades for rentals, is that neither of these guys become anything.  However, I don’t feel this was a dump either.  This was a really well done trade imo (bonus points for a 3 team deal! :D ).

I also, as I said before, love how Elias separates emotion from intelligence.  It’s a tough trait to have but it’s a necessary one.

• Upvote 1

I stated this in another thread, but Johnson fills the talent gulf between the GRod/Hall tier and the Rom/Denoyer/Baumler tier. And it's not like he's a 19 yr old kid in low A. When he's back from TJS, he's likely to move from A+ to AA and maybe to AAA by the end of that season.

I like that we didn't dump Trey for "a couple of 17 year olds" or at the other end of the spectrum, some AAA Mattson-type guys. We received true talent. McDermott, too - he throws hard and we've seen success with wrangling in some power arms here. 

• Upvote 1

The injury to Johnson is the only reason we were able to get him in the first place (in my opinion) and he will be old for a prospect if he makes it to the majors. I'll still take the gamble on talent over fringe guys. This seems to be a recent strategy; take big gambles in the draft and also with trades like this. The upside is a pitcher that can be a good starter, and another guy that could be a nice bullpen find. Even if one of those things happens it's a win. I loved having Mancini on the team, and I do think there's a relatively high chance neither of the pitchers pan out, but I don't see how anyone could hate the trade based on value for a couple months of an average DH/1B. 

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This was a really well done trade imo (bonus points for a 3 team deal! :D ).

We kid about your penchant for 3-team trade scenarios in days gone by, but in this particular case, it was truly a savvy move that enabled Elias to acquire 2 high-upside pitchers.  It was very unlikely that one team would trade away 2 such prospects for a rental of a DH/1B, even one as beloved as Mancini.   The cost against the farm system just wouldn't make sense for one team.  Fantastic move, really.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

The injury to Johnson is the only reason we were able to get him in the first place (in my opinion) and he will be old for a prospect if he makes it to the majors. I'll still take the gamble on talent over fringe guys. This seems to be a recent strategy; take big gambles in the draft and also with trades like this. The upside is a pitcher that can be a good starter, and another guy that could be a nice bullpen find. Even if one of those things happens it's a win. I loved having Mancini on the team, and I do think there's a relatively high chance neither of the pitchers pan out, but I don't see how anyone could hate the trade based on value for a couple months of an average DH/1B. 

The organization is finally healthy and deep top to bottom, the perfect time to gamble on high risk / reward guys.