Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

What’s the outlook on Cano?  I know he’s an up/down guy that I expect to give us 10-20 IP this season, but unless injuries happen I don’t see him as anything more than deep depth In 23’. We only lose Givens at the end of 23’. With him being on the 40 man, and 28 years old, I don’t know how we carry him too much longer. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s the outlook on Cano?  I know he’s an up/down guy that I expect to give us 10-20 IP this season, but unless injuries happen I don’t see him as anything more than deep depth In 23’. We only lose Givens at the end of 23’. With him being on the 40 man, and 28 years old, I don’t know how we carry him too much longer. 

He's on the fringes of the 40 man but we just got him and despite his age (he'll be 29 in March) he doesn't have a ton of professional experience.   His stuff is pretty good but his command and control are not ML at the moment.   He might be next to go but they probably want to see what he can do at Norfolk and use him as an up and down guy.   He's in the same boat as Logan Gillaspie, I think.  

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s terrible…but you never know with a power arm if/when they figure it out.

This deal is on the shoulders of Povich and your belief in how much Lopez helps last year and beyond.

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In case you missed it, here's what @Tony-OH posted on December 11, 2022 in his offseason prospect review:

59. Yennier Cano – RHP (AAA/MAJ): The 4th pitcher acquired in the Lopez trade, Cano is a power sinker, slider, changeup guy who really struggled with his command in his major league time last year. Raw stuff can flash plus but he lives too much in the middle of the plate and needs to find consistency. Threw an immaculate inning in AAA last year.

Link to the post

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This deal is on the shoulders of Povich and your belief in how much Lopez helps last year and beyond.

I kind of like Juan Rojas.  At 18 in the FCL, threw to a 2.79 ERA and struck out 50 batters vs. 9 walks in 38.2 innings.  And, today’s his 19th birthday!

The scouting report as relayed by Steve Melewski at the time of the trade:  “Rojas’ fastball has topped at 93 mph and he also throws a slider, cutter and changeup. The slider has been a good pitch for him.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/a-look-at-the-pitchers-the-orioles-got-in-the-jorge-lopez-deal

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't know about terrible. Has not been good in small samples at the big league level but decent ERA, plus K/9 without crazy walks

There's a difference between "is terrible" and has been terrible.   Who's the guy with the funky motion we picked up at the end of last year and released this offseason?   He is terrible.   Cano has some talent but his command isn't very good.   I'm sure he's got a few months to a year to figure things out at Norfolk or he's gone.   He's definitely on the short list of waiverable players and there's no shortage of RH power arms (Armbruester, Denoyer, Watson, etc. ) that are going to pass him by soon.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know about terrible. Has not been good in small samples at the big league level but decent ERA, plus K/9 without crazy walks

He’s also 28 and has command and control issues.

Relievers can come out of nowhere, ala Bautista but the bottom line is expecting anything out of him is too much.

He is an after thought in this trade. A lottery ticket so to speak. This deal hinges on Povich.

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I kind of like Juan Rojas.  At 18 in the FCL, threw to a 2.79 ERA and struck out 50 batters vs. 9 walks in 38.2 innings.  And, today’s his 19th birthday!

The scouting report as relayed by Steve Melewski at the time of the trade:  “Rojas’ fastball has topped at 93 mph and he also throws a slider, cutter and changeup. The slider has been a good pitch for him.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/a-look-at-the-pitchers-the-orioles-got-in-the-jorge-lopez-deal

That’s fine..you never know with guys. But none of them are highly regarded or well sought after arms. 

You got 4 better arms for Bundy imo.  

• Upvote 1

I like the two lotto tickets in the deal. I think Cano was the 4th part of the deal. We lost Jake Cave on waivers to the Phillies this offseason, and we didn’t keep Phillips. Both of those guys look more valuable than what Cano gives us next year. 

As far as Lopez goes, I think we paid a good chunk of his remaining salary last year. While we “sold high”, the return was not a must do. 

It seems like we just sold to to just sell. Lopez would’ve been a real weapon on this team in a SU/MR role. The fact that we gave Givens $1.7m more that what Lopez makes in 23’ sorta admits that mistake. 

Givens can get outs, but he’s not the high leverage reliever Lopez was. Givens does not have the ability to dominate at times. The Lopez trade also hurts us in 23’ and 24’

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s also 28 and has command and control issues.

Relievers can come out of nowhere, ala Bautista but the bottom line is expecting anything out of him is too much.

He is an after thought in this trade. A lottery ticket so to speak. This deal hinges on Povich.

The deal hinged on Bautista.

It wasn't a bad trade even if the guys coming back don't do much.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I am okay with the trade, I just don’t rely on amateur psychoanalysis for my opinion.  You don’t like his body language, fine, but don’t you think “emotionally unstable” is going a bit far?   

Maybe your understanding is different than the context of what I wrote. It’s all good. You came at me a little strong there, bud. He went through a lot with his son, absolutely. I have great compassion for his story. I was one of his biggest supporters here, if you want to look back. But, he became unstable, at times, because of his emotions and lack of confidence. My observation. There is zero amateur psychoanalysis there, Dr. Phil. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

There's a difference between "is terrible" and has been terrible.   Who's the guy with the funky motion we picked up at the end of last year and released this offseason?   He is terrible.   

You're referring to Jake Reed.

• Thanks 1