Orioles 2022 51-75 Prospects

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Lots of pitchers in these last two lists with 1-2 pitches. Lots of mid 90s FB throwers. Lots of guys without much to keep guys off their FBs. @Tony-OH do you see any patterns in what the pitching coaches are looking for in the guys they are drafting or in the direction they are taking with these young pitchers. Thanks.

I'm guessing here but I think if you check every team's 51-75 prospects you are going to find hard throwers with iffy secondary pitches.  The industry standard seems to be to take hard throwing kids and try and team them to pitch.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing here but I think if you check every team's 51-75 prospects you are going to find hard throwers with iffy secondary pitches.  The industry standard seems to be to take hard throwing kids and try and team them to pitch.

Thanks, Corn. I was wondering if there is anything that sets these guys apart for your average minor leaguer. Like body type or advanced analytics like spin rates and the like. The O's don't seem to spend high draft picks on pitchers. So is there a specific pitching trait they covet? That's my question.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
spelling
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m a bit surprised that Peek and Brnovich are rated so far behind Brandon Young.   

When they were all healthy in 2021, I liked Young much more than Peek or Brnovich. It was hard to get much off Young or Brnovich due to the injuries early on and Peek was more of the same for me.

15 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Thanks, Corn. I was wondering if there is anything that sets these guys apart for your average minor leaguer. Like body type or advanced analytics like spin rates and the like. The O's don't seem to spend high draft picks on pitchers. So is there a specific pitching trait they covet? That's my question.

The organization is looking for pitchers with high spin rate fastballs and breaking balls or at least good pitch shapes for the breaking balls.

I've also heard things about the industry looking at low 3/4 fastball guys saying they play up from that angle.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm a little surprised Feliz is this low. Maybe he has to repeat his 13 K/9 in AA before he starts getting the Felix Bautista comparisons.

Feliz just doesn't have the consistent velocity or that height/angle Bautista throws from. The numbers were really good, but I need to see it work against AA/AAA hitters before I believe too much.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

When they were all healthy in 2021, I liked Young much more than Peek or Brnovich. It was hard to get much off Young or Brnovich due to the injuries early on and Peek was more of the same for me.

Last year Young was 23, Peek 31, Brnovich 32.    This year it’s Young 37, Peek 56, Brnovich 74.   That’s a pretty dramatic widening of the gap considering that Young threw 13 innings, Peek 45, and Brnovich 8 this year.  But like you said in the OP. I don’t take the order of the rankings too literally this far down anyway.  

75. Harif Frias – RHP (DSL): 

Part of me hopes that you had a bunch of random names in a spreadsheet for the #75 spot and saw the name "Harif Frias" and said, 'now that's a name' and annointed him #75 mostly based on his appellation...

I know you didn't, I just thought it was a great name for the last rung on this massive list! Thanks so much for all the hard work, I can't imagine getting this much detail or learning these many names to follow going into next season from anywhere else (and I feel like I'm pretty deep into the minor league scene, but it's nothing compared to you!) Many thanks Tony, as always!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Part of me hopes that you had a bunch of random names in a spreadsheet for the #75 spot and saw the name "Harif Frias" and said, 'now that's a name' and annointed him #75 mostly based on his appellation...

I know you didn't, I just thought it was a great name for the last rung on this massive list! Thanks so much for all the hard work, I can't imagine getting this much detail or learning these many names to follow going into next season from anywhere else (and I feel like I'm pretty deep into the minor league scene, but it's nothing compared to you!) Many thanks Tony, as always!

Lol, thanks.

I had a couple of names for the last spot and I just started to play with the stats available at Fan graphs and Frias stood out. A couple of texts later I had enough info to make him #75. 

Gotta root for the name though if nothing else! 

• Upvote 1

I like that you went 31-50 and then 51-75. It's an interesting break point that I think starts to demonstrate the extent of our depth.

IMO, the 31-50 is a pretty impressive group. Several of those guys at least have a chance to perform. Odds are a few will really develop and maybe become really good prospects or MLers.  From 51-75, there's still some hope in there, but much less. 

So I feel like the O's system has essentially gone from a 10-20...ish player system years ago to a 40-50 player system now. I obviously have no clue who will and won't succeed, but there's potential in here.

• Upvote 1