Post Trade Deadline Goals

Moose Milligan

I know it's typically a thing to look at the post ASB goals, but to me the second half of the season really starts after the trade deadline, especially now that it's a hard deadline.  While the trade deadline doesn't split the season down the middle in terms of games played/games remaining, this marks the point of the season where the most changes to a roster are likely to occur aside from roster call-ups throughout the season, especially if you're a team like the Orioles.

That said, what are you looking for in the final two months at the ML (not system-wide) level?

As far as I'm concerned:

• Staying close to .500 as possible.  Remains to be seen if the loss of Mancini and Lopez are significant enough to knock this team off the pace but as we go along here, I want to see if .500 is something they can attain for the rest of the season.  At LEAST I'd like to see them win 70+ games.  I think that's very realistic.
  • Adley Rutschman's continued development.  
  • Continued development of Mateo and Urias.  Is Mateo turning a corner?
  • Bautista in the closer role
  • Can Akin finish strong?
  • Can Mountcastle have a respectable final two months or is he a guy we're going to look to trade soon?
  • Are there any pieces to keep in this patchwork rotation?  

And before anyone says they want to see Henderson, Hall, Westburg or anyone else in the top 5-10 being called up, just don't.  DO NOT.  It's not happening.  Elias isn't starting service clocks now.  You know it.  I know it.  

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know it's typically a thing to look at the post ASB goals, but to me the second half of the season really starts after the trade deadline, especially now that it's a hard deadline.  While the trade deadline doesn't split the season down the middle in terms of games played/games remaining, this marks the point of the season where the most changes to a roster are likely to occur aside from roster call-ups throughout the season, especially if you're a team like the Orioles.

That said, what are you looking for in the final two months at the ML (not system-wide) level?

As far as I'm concerned:

• Staying close to .500 as possible.  Remains to be seen if the loss of Mancini and Lopez are significant enough to knock this team off the pace but as we go along here, I want to see if .500 is something they can attain for the rest of the season.  At LEAST I'd like to see them win 70+ games.  I think that's very realistic.
  • Adley Rutschman's continued development.  
  • Continued development of Mateo and Urias.  Is Mateo turning a corner?
  • Bautista in the closer role
  • Can Akin finish strong?
  • Can Mountcastle have a respectable final two months or is he a guy we're going to look to trade soon?
  • Are there any pieces to keep in this patchwork rotation?  

And before anyone says they want to see Henderson, Hall, Westburg or anyone else in the top 5-10 being called up, just don't.  DO NOT.  It's not happening.  Elias isn't starting service clocks now.  You know it.  I know it.  

Agree on all.  But a bit worried about how regular superstar MLB players will feel about themselves if Adley continues to “develop”.  😁

• Haha 1

Other than general .500ness I am most interested in how Bradish and Kremer perform. Watkins and Voth too to a lesser extent. Would love to see a couple of those guys finish strong enough that it feels good to pencil them into the ‘23 rotation. 

I was optimistic Hall would come up for at least some relief appearances to see what he can do against MLB hitting but he is making a great case for himself to stay where he is. I do think we will see Stowers but not enough to get a real look beyond eye tests. 

I haven't heard anything on Grayson. Even if he doesn't pitch in the majors, rehab and a couple of AAA starts would be great news. 

Along with the .500 record, I think that will depend on the rotation maintaining its solid production. Will be even tougher depending on how long Wells is out. All of Lyles/Watkins/Kremer/Bradish/Voth (plus maybe Zimmermann) could pitch themselves back to the scrap heap or solidify spots in '23. 

What happens with Odor/Vavra down the stretch is at least mildly interesting. 

Finish strong. After the Pittsburgh series the rest of August is gonna be tough, with every team we play either ahead of us in the standings or .5 behind us, with the makeup game vs the Cubs in there as well. If we can stay close to .500 and avoid any long losing streaks I'll consider the season a success. The wild card and anything beyond would be a nice cherry on top of the season.

I'd like to see Hays and Mountcastle heat up and be more consistent, Santander stay healthy all season, and how many doubles will Adley end up with. How much will we see of Vavra, Diaz and hopefully Stowers.

Pitching, can they keep it up? How will Bautista handle the closer role, and who steps up in the pen to fill the spot opened with the Lopez trade, will it be Vespi, Gillaspie or someone else.

Should be a fun last 2 months of the season.

Was losing Mancini addition by subtraction?  Now we can rotate guys through DH. We also don’t owe him the #2-4 ABs. He may be reenergized with HOU, but it looks like he was hitting a wall again. 

Adley is having a Machado like beginning to his career with all these doubles. 

It’s 8/3 and we are only 1.5 GB in the WC, with only 3 versus the NYY and TB.  

We have 15 games against Toronto.  That’s our season.  

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hard to imagine what Elias’ plan for the rest of the year. It’s just obvious he doesn’t care about winning this year.

While Elias continues to plan for the future, Hyde and the O's players have no quit in them.   Trey and Lopez gone, Phillips added to the bench as Mr Sunshine.  Vavra slotted as DH/LF.   I don't think they blink.   Just press on.  Hyde's leadership is impressive.

Pitching staff including the starters are amazingly stable.

I agree it seems like it will take key injuries to see Stowers, Gunnar and Westburg this year.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

While Elias continues to plan for the future, Hyde and the O's players have no quit in them.   Trey and Lopez gone, Phillips added to the bench as Mr Sunshine.  Vavra slotted as DH/LF.   I don't think they blink.   Just press on.  Hyde's leadership is impressive.

Pitching staff including the starters are amazingly stable.

I agree it seems like it will take key injuries to see Stowers, Gunnar and Westburg this year.

I was on board with the trades of Trey and Jorge. Phillips on the other hand is perplexing. Another guy who can’t hit for the roster. It’s a dumb move regardless of his clubhouse crap. I’m tired of hearing what Rougned brings to the clubhouse. He offers little to the offense. The trade off isn’t worth it if you are trying to win.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I was on board with the trades of Trey and Jorge. Phillips on the other hand is perplexing. Another guy who can’t hit for the roster. It’s a dumb move regardless of his clubhouse crap. I’m tired of hearing what Rougned brings to the clubhouse. He offers little to the offense. The trade off isn’t worth it if you are trying to win.

I think we're in agreement here..   Trying to puzzle out the Phillips move. It's either an attempt to game Stowers' service clock with Phillips as a rationalization...  or....   or....  that's all I've got.

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think we're in agreement here..   Trying to puzzle out the Phillips move. It's either an attempt to game Stowers' service clock with Phillips as a rationalization...  or....   or....  that's all I've got.

So if the plan is to bring up Stowers to start next season the days left this year wouldn’t matter. If they are planning to foot drag next spring then not bringing him up makes sense. Seems silly to drag him again next season.

A player is deemed to have reached "one year" of Major League service upon accruing 172 days in a given year. Upon reaching six years of Major League service, a player becomes eligible for free agency at the end of that season (unless he has already signed a contract extension that covers one or more of his free-agent seasons).

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

So if the plan is to bring up Stowers to start next season the days left this year wouldn’t matter. If they are planning to foot drag next spring then not bringing him up makes sense. Seems silly to drag him again next season.

I think it's utterly ridiculous that he isn't up now... 

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think it's utterly ridiculous that he isn't up now... 

So that must be the plan?

Each Major League regular season consists of 187 days (typically 183 days prior to 2018), and each day spent on the active roster or injured list earns a player one day of service time. (Any player who violates MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program doesn't receive Major League Service during his suspension, unless his suspension is reduced by 20 or more games under the mitigation provision of the program.)