MLB Network: Adley Rutschman: Difference Maker

Tony-OH

47 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

In 20 years, folks will be saying catching prospects are the next Adley Rutschman.

I dunno...kind of hope he sets the bar at that CF Griffey or SS A-Rod kind of level where it becomes the thing among scouts that really it isn't fair to comp anyone to the blueprint.

Now on message boards, sure with any luck I'll still be here saying Maverick Handley, Jr. gives me an Adley flavor.   Because here All-Stars are just examples for different kinds of player strengths, and the reality Kyle Stowers could easily end up with <2 career WAR isn't very fun to talk about.

15 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

I think he's being too picky at times, but I'm no expert.

I'm not a fan of taking a belt high pitch that's 2 inches outside. He's a great hitter. That is a pitch that he should be able to drive to the opposite field with power.

Kinda with you until you say you want him swinging at balls. 

3 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

If Adley goes on a home run binge over the next month, he's got a decent shot to win AL ROY. JRod just came back from a HBP on the wrist, which might/probably will affect his power for a bit.

If Adley goes on a HR binge and this team makes the playoffs, he’s going to be getting MVP votes..he’s probably getting them anyway but if he goes on some offensive tear, he’s going to end up top 5 in the MVP balloting.

Watching Rutschman's plate discipline I immediately think of a guy who, had he played 75 or 100 years ago, would have 100 walks and 40 strikeouts in a full season.  As a green rookie he's striking out in less than 18% of PAs in a league that's at 22.2%, while walking at more than 1.5 times the leave average.  In the 1930s or something when the overall K rate was 8% he'd have a slash line like .300/.400/.500. He'd be Mel Ott.