How does the roster/lineup shake out next year

casadeozo

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would like to see Mullins traded for pitching. 

Stowers can start and Hays, as I said, can be your 4th OFer.  McKenna can stay but I was talking about the guys who get a significant amount of at bats.

Cowser will be one of the new starters.

Honestly think we should keeps Mullins. Sounds like you’ve given up on Hays? I’d make Santander the DH if he’s still here after this season

***** Disclosure: Note to @Sports GuyI don’t have a link*****

9 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

For those wanting to trade Mountcastle, what's the long term answer at 1B? Do we have minor leaguers knocking at the door? Can we convert someone like Vavra to 1B? Bring back Mancini or another FA 1B? 

Mountcastle wasn’t a 1B when he was drafted.  He was a SS/3B.  It’s the least skilled position in the IF.  Not saying everyone can learn to dig out bad throws, but if a guy can field….  Learning positioning on various scenarios is a thing too.  So Santander (who has played there before) or any number of current guys can pick it up.

I would not bring Mancini back for the money.  If I decide to trade Mounty, it’s because I’ve signed Josh Bell (after having a deal for a pitcher that includes Mounty+ lined up).

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Mountcastle wasn’t a 1B when he was drafted.  He was a SS/3B.  It’s the least skilled position in the IF.  Not saying everyone can learn to dig out bad throws, but if a guy can field….  Learning positioning on various scenarios is a thing too.  So Santander (who has played there before) or any number of current guys can pick it up.

I would not bring Mancini back for the money.  If I decide to trade Mounty, it’s because I’ve signed Josh Bell (after having a deal for a pitcher that includes Mounty+ lined up).

***** I Think*******

Looking at his stats on baseball reference he played 9 games at 1B at the age of 21. In those 9 games he made 2 errors and hasn’t been put in the infield again. Some guys are outfielders and others are exclusively outfielders. I suspect it would be a bad decision to put him at 1B. But, he could DH most days.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=santan000ant

The Orioles will go into the offseason with more positional depth than they have had in quite a long time.  I believe some of that depth will be traded for pitching....I hope so.

The challenge is matching up what pitcher you want with the player you want to move.  

For example, I think Santander is the obvious choice to move, but if we are trading for a SP we really want and they dont want Santander,  can you make a deal you can live with.

I also really think if they could move Mountcastle they will.  For all of his skill, his aggressive approach looks more out of place all the time.

The reality this is a great opportunity and there are players here who continue to improve their standing with the team.  Mateo for one.  With almost a third of the season left, there really is an audition of sorts going on.  It is a great thing really.  And I can't wait to see it unfold.

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

***** I Think*******

Looking at his stats on baseball reference he played 9 games at 1B at the age of 21. In those 9 games he made 2 errors and hasn’t been put in the infield again. Some guys are outfielders and others are exclusively outfielders. I suspect it would be a bad decision to put him at 1B. But, he could DH most days.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=santan000ant

Agreed.  An IF would be more likely to succeed.  At the risk of oversimplification…. There’s obviously a skill to learn as well.

26 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

After 2023 he’s unrestricted.  I wonder how big that contract will be?  Filling two roster spots at an All-Star level with one guy.

I mean more in the trading for Gerrit Cole or Justin Verlander acquisition pipeline.    One October of Ohtani should be a bit more palatable than three Octobers of Soto.

Baseball Trade Values with 1.4 years remaining today pegs Ohtani at 110mm surplus value.    Call it ~75mm this offseason, though for one year that feels rich here.    Hall-Westburg-Bradish goes into the 50's as a starting point.     If Angelos-Elias wanted to do it all with the tool of money, they could just take Anthony Rendon as well, and I believe he'll play well again at some point before his career is over.

I don't think Elias would put that many eggs in the '23 Ohtani basket, but it is an example of the kind of consolidating for proven excellence the roster will want at some point.

Edited by Just Regular

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Agreed.  An IF would be more likely to succeed.  At the risk of oversimplification…. There’s obviously a skill to learn as well.

**** I Think*****

I’m not sure I follow you. Some guys aren’t infielders, that’s not to say you can’t put him there and agonize when he does a poor job.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

**** I Think*****

I’m not sure I follow you. Some guys aren’t infielders, that’s not to say you can’t put him there and agonize when he does a poor job.

Yeah I agreed with you on that.  Santander is a good case in point.  But it was 9 games.  He likely wouldn’t be a good 1B long term.

46 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Yeah I agreed with you on that.  Santander is a good case in point.  But it was 9 games.  He likely wouldn’t be a good 1B long term.

****I Think ******

Not that I’m a good comp….but, I was a pretty good outfielder with tons of range when I played ball in high school. When I played softball it was the same situation until I tore my ACL and meniscus. My wheels disappeared overnight and could no longer play the OF in a competitive situation. We tried 1B and while I could handle the throws and cover the bag adequately I couldnt really handle the hard hit grounders. Luckily for me I was able to pitch. 

Anyway, I’m not sure Anthony can play a solid 1B and hopefully the Orioles brain trust values defense. Also I agree that 9 games might not be enough for us to gauge but it seems it was for his manager at the time it was tried.

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

****I Think ******

Not that I’m a good comp….but, I was a pretty good outfielder with tons of range when I played ball in high school. When I played softball it was the same situation until I tore my ACL and meniscus. My wheels disappeared overnight and could no longer play the OF in a competitive situation. We tried 1B and while I could handle the throws and cover the bag adequately I couldnt really handle the hard hit grounders. Luckily for me I was able to pitch. 

Anyway, I’m not sure Anthony can play a solid 1B and hopefully the Orioles brain trust values defense. Also I agree that 9 games might not be enough for us to gauge but it seems it was for his manager at the time it was tried.

So you're saying Santander should pitch. 😝

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Based on what? First base is incredibly difficult to learn? He’s not a good enough athlete? They moved Mountcastle there, so….

12 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Based on what? First base is incredibly difficult to learn? He’s not a good enough athlete? They moved Mountcastle there, so….

**** I think****

Someone played him 9 games at 1B in the minors when he was 21. I didn’t look at his stats for other defensive metrics but he made 2 errors . So that would equate to 40 over a season at 1B. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

****I Think ******

What was your ERA as a softball pitcher?