Mateo may be the best story of the Orioles season...

Roy Firestone

15 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Roy, how did you become an Orioles fan?

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

He must have grownup here as a toddler, I works venture to guess.  No one becomes an orioles fan who grew up in other places.

He was the batboy for the team in Spring Training in Miami.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

He must have grownup here as a toddler, I works venture to guess.  No one becomes an orioles fan who grew up in other places.

A good number of fans on the Hangout did not grow up in Maryland.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:
2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Roy, how did you become an Orioles fan? The Orioles trained in Miami in most of the 60' s and early 70's. I talked my way into becoming a batboy and clubhouse boy when I was 15. My first ever interview(for the High School paper) was with Brooks Robinson. After I got the interview I went home and to my shock and disgust the machine jammed the tape and I got nothing. The next day, I sheepishly told Brooks the tape  recording didnt work. Brooks said "Thats okay partner , lets record it again." And we did. I never forgot that. How many of todays superstars would have done that? I was an Oriole fan for life..Still am.

That's awesome

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Adley is the most valuable Oriole.

But sure, you can make a case for Mateo.

Corn, I think that's a fair assessment. Santander could also be in that conversation. My "knock" against Adley is he doesn't catch every day. When he's the DH he is very good but his value is not elite there. Mateo has brought it this year nearly every game. Just my $0.02.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Corn, I think that's a fair assessment. Santander could also be in that conversation. My "knock" against Adley is he doesn't catch every day. When he's the DH he is very good but his value is not elite there. Mateo has brought it this year nearly every game. Just my $0.02.

No one catches everyday 

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Adley's wRC+ is at 134 (all at bats).  That would slot in at sixth in the league at the DH position (between LAoA and Toronto). 

That seems pretty eliteish.

11 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

And how much fun was it tonight.?..though I wanted to throw my laptop when Akin gave up all those runs and Mountcastle dropped the balll....But Oh, the Birds looked like 2012  tonight,,,

Good to see you back on the board, Roy!! Hopefully we can be even more like the 2012 Os but the future is bright indeed!! 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Adley's wRC+ is at 134 (all at bats).  That would slot in at sixth in the league at the DH position (between LAoA and Toronto). 

That seems pretty eliteish.

Has he hit that well when DHing. Full disclosure, I haven't done the research to parce out C at bats from DH at bats. Also, how does Mateo stack up on the defensive metric side against AL contemporaries? Again, this is a wonderful debate to have! In the spirit of Roy's OP, I am a Mateo homer.

11 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

No one catches everyday 

Yes, I am aware of this. My point was more that his day-to-day value drops when he doesn't catch. It is a somewhat nuisanced point but a shortstop can play defense nearly everyday and also hits everyday.  Forgive me for not stating that directly.

Edited by Jim'sKid26

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Has he hit that well when DHing. Full disclosure, I haven't done the research to parce out C at bats from DH at bats. Also, how does Mateo stack up on the defensive metric side against AL contemporaries? Again, this is a wonderful debate to have! In the spirit of Roy's OP, I am a Mateo homer.

I honestly didn't bother to check since the sample size is still so small.

• Upvote 1