Mateo may be the best story of the Orioles season...

Roy Firestone

2 hours ago, Getz said:

It was the beginning of the 2016 season and I had nothing to gamble on. I didn't know anything about baseball but put on a bet and watched the game, I think I liked the Orioles jersey,  the stadium and Manny looked like a great player that game and his last name is common here in Portugal even though Portuguese and Spanish are different languages. At the time I was also a Flyers fan (no longer a fan because I realized how trashy Philly fans are) and they shared the same orange so that could also have been a factor.

I'm not from Óbidos, it's a pretty small town but I'm surprised someone here knows it. Bet you've had some Ginginha de Óbidos there, I like to have one once in a while.

No, I did not have there.  My wife and I visited Portugal 15 years ago and we wanted to see a cool walled town, so Obidos it was, as we were staying in Lisboa.  The train from Lisboa to Obidos stopped about a million times between the two places, so that was a learning experience.  Philly fans are terrible as a general rule no matter what the sport is, so you were wise to drop them.

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

Mateo figured it was going to be an inside sinker from Schreiber last night. He guessed right and hit the 3-run, game-winning double:

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-orioles/2022/08/21/661051#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=661051

I think Mateo has the fastest bat on the O's and I thought that even when he wasn't hitting.  I think he's being very well coached, and listening to the coaching.  He's no flash in the pan, IMO.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Another big hit tonight. His 2nd half is only being overshadowed by Adley’s big 2nd half. We’re getting GG and SS level performances in the 2nd half from SS and C. 

With the previous production at those two positions, it's a 100% improvement in offensive production in addition to the contributions on defense from  Mateo and Adley. 

Gotta see if he's playing this way next year.  Baseball landscape is littered with one year wonders and guys that finish a season looking like they've turned a corner and can't replicate it the following season.

I'm cautiously optimistic because the talent level is sky high, but we'll see.  Enjoying the ride right now though, he's awesome to watch.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:56 AM, Chelsea_Phil said:

He must have grownup here as a toddler, I works venture to guess.  No one becomes an orioles fan who grew up in other places.

On the contrary, I have been an O's fan for over 40 years and I live in Mississippi. 

On 8/20/2022 at 7:56 AM, Chelsea_Phil said:

He must have grownup here as a toddler, I works venture to guess.  No one becomes an orioles fan who grew up in other places.

On the contrary, I have been an O's fan for over 40 years and I live in Mississippi. 

Sorry for the double post. I very rarely post, but I do read the boards. 

Edited by lobo