Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

What was Elias plan for Hall and Rodriguez?   

A number of posters have questioned Elias bringing Hall up for a single start.  I think Alasdaire was part of that group.  I know I disagreed with bringing him up on the road and having Chirinos catch him.

As for Grayson his low pitch counts and being kept down despite his dominance kept him from making an appearance this year. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Because the team is good and looking dangerous for the next 5-10 years?  

Despite the fact that we won't be getting a draft pick for Adley's performance and most likely won't be getting the coveted extra year.  Yea.

Things would be even better with the pick right?

We are talking specifically about why he should be deferred to in regards to promotions.

Do you think he handled Hall, Grayson and Adley correctly?

I remember you wanting Grayson called up before he got hurt.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A number of posters have questioned Elias bringing Hall up for a single start.  I think Alasdaire was part of that group.  I know I disagreed with bringing him up on the road and having Chirinos catch him.

As for Grayson his low pitch counts and being kept down despite his dominance kept him from making an appearance this year. 

I asked you what was Elias plan for Hall and Rodriguez, not what happened.  You said his plan didn’t look so hot.  What was his plan?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I asked you what was Elias plan for Hall and Rodriguez, not what happened.  You said his plan didn’t look so hot.  What was his plan?

His plan for Hall was what we saw.  He made his debut, so that is how Elias planned it.  Hall didn't sneak onto the field.

We don't know what his plan for Grayson was.

We know what it wasn't.  Despite what he publicly said the plan wasn't to give him a chance to start the season in the majors.  The plan wasn't to let him pitch a starter's workload the first half of the year.  The plan wasn't to promote him when he was dominating at AAA.

I think he would have eventually promoted him if he had stayed healthy and dominant.  But we don't know it.  I know that his plan probably didn't include Grayson throwing only 56 minor league innings this year so yea, it hasn't worked out well.  The kid glove approach unsurprisingly didn't stop him from getting injured.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Could have called him up end of last year for a month and since he was injured to start the year would have still accumulated a year service time, so yeah back fired because they didn’t call him up and had the unexpected injury. 

Right, I understand the concept. I'm just saying that maybe the organization's philosophy for when a player is ready is actually proven by Adley being as good as he was when he finally got the call. Sure, you can make the argument that he would've been as ready last year, but the fact is that they held him down for longer than people wanted, and the result was a transcendent rookie year.

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Right, I understand the concept. I'm just saying that maybe the organization's philosophy for when a player is ready is actually proven by Adley being as good as he was when he finally got the call. Sure, you can make the argument that he would've been as ready last year, but the fact is that they held him down for longer than people wanted, and the result was a transcendent rookie year.

How was his first couple of weeks?

Is it possible that if he had been called up last season to get acclimated his first couple of weeks this season would closer to the level of play we've enjoyed since?  We know he would have been up earlier this season if he was on the team last year.

Just because he's done so well doesn't prove that the approach Elias took was the best possible.

Edited by Can_of_corn

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Calling him up after a few shaky AAA starts, sending him out there as cannon fodder with your b-team on the road against a playoff/divisional team, and then immediately relegating him to the bullpen in Norfolk just seems like haphazard handling of a guy's psyche honestly. It's why I'm fine with them taking their time with Gunnar or anyone else until there's diminishing returns of remaining in the minors.

How would you feel if you were DL? They can tell you until they're blue in the face that it's not a demotion, but it certainly wouldn't be how you imagined the call. Maybe I'm a softie and players have to develop calluses, but I think there's something to the concept of giving the guy a reasonable amount of time to graduate from the level and then promoting him for good with confidence. Seems plausible to me that it increases the chances of them contributing immediately and decreases the chances the same old problems linger indefinitely.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How was his first couple of weeks?

Is it possible that if he had been called up last season to get acclimated his first couple of weeks this season would closer to the level of play we've enjoyed since?  We know he would have been up earlier this season if he was on the team last year.

Just because he's done so well doesn't prove that the approach Elias took was the best possible.

Certainly possible that Adley would've been as good if not better this year if he had been called up at the end of last year. I'm not going to sit here and argue the point that Adley was held down for any reason other than service time. I don't think that's as clear with Gunnar though given the age difference.

11 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I hope today but they may wait until the first when the roster expands a little. Seems like they do not want to demote a position player. 

That seemed to be what Elias was hinting. I also did not read his comments about Gunnar hinting either way. Seemed like Hall was more likely. Who knows, I have given up trying to predict.

21 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I hope today but they may wait until the first when the roster expands a little. Seems like they do not want to demote a position player. 

9/1 call up means he’s not eligible for postseason unless injuries occur.

No reason to wait 3 more days because of that.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

D-backs are calling up Corbin Carroll.  Similar tier prospect but on a team not in the playoff hunt.  

On a related note, Riley Greene is just now getting it going in his 56th game as a professional.  Which makes me wonder what the stats are on top 10-type prospects’ first 50 games?  

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Despite the fact that we won't be getting a draft pick for Adley's performance and most likely won't be getting the coveted extra year.  Yea.

Things would be even better with the pick right?

We are talking specifically about why he should be deferred to in regards to promotions.

Do you think he handled Hall, Grayson and Adley correctly?

I remember you wanting Grayson called up before he got hurt.

Is the rule top two or top 3 for extra year?