Wonders Never Cease

Frobby

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, you are right.  The ROS projections take into account both past years and what has happened so far this year.   But in my opinion it’s too heavily weighted towards previous years, plus whatever else they throw into the mix to guess how pitchers will do going forward.  I just don’t think it’s likely that the team ERA is going to be a full run worse over the final 40 games than it’s been over the first 122.   

Fangraphs team projections and playoff offs are based on a ZiPS/Steamer blend they call Depth Charts.  

Pre-season O’s hitter projections

Rest of season hitting projections

Pre-season O’s pitching projections

Rest of season pitching projections

Bautista with a 4.00 ERA the rest of the season?

The pen has a 3.16 ERA as of now.  The ROS Depth Chart projections look to be about a run worse than that.  That seems pretty pessimistic.  I wonder how they're doing park factors?

Most of the Orioles' relievers do have an xFIP a run or more higher than their ERAs.  Although all the top 10 teams in bullpen ERA are outperforming their xFIPS.  They Yanks by nearly a full run, Houston by 0.70. 

Question regarding Cease:  My wife noticed during the game last night that he removes his hat and wipes his pitching hand on his hair before virtually every pitch.  Any thoughts on whether this is a not-so-subtle way of getting a little "product" on the ball, or just a habit/tic?

8 minutes ago, Griffey said:

Question regarding Cease:  My wife noticed during the game last night that he removes his hat and wipes his pitching hand on his hair before virtually every pitch.  Any thoughts on whether this is a not-so-subtle way of getting a little "product" on the ball, or just a habit/tic?

Using the mustache would be a smarter move! 

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

We got outhit 11-5, so we definitely stole a win here. The ABs in the 1st inning were fantastic.

This team needs a bullpen reinforcement. Wells?? Roch mentioned it as a possibility.

I agree the bullpen could use reinforcement, I would prefer Wells in the rotation but if they need to put him in the pen to manage innings then I understand.  Did Roch mention when he might be available to return?

What about Baumann for the pen? I haven't paid much attention to what he has been doing in AAA but it seems like he should be a guy who can come in the late innings and shut down a few batters.

17 minutes ago, Griffey said:

I noticed the same.  I was hoping Hyde would at least ask the umpires to check.

13 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I agree the bullpen could use reinforcement, I would prefer Wells in the rotation but if they need to put him in the pen to manage innings then I understand.  Did Roch mention when he might be available to return?

What about Baumann for the pen? I haven't paid much attention to what he has been doing in AAA but it seems like he should be a guy who can come in the late innings and shut down a few batters.

It’s been interesting watching all the minor league pitchers this past week or so, all of whom must surely know there are opportunities to be had soon!

12 minutes ago, justD said:

It’s been interesting watching all the minor league pitchers this past week or so, all of whom must surely know there are opportunities to be had soon!

Unfortunately, there's not really a standout "this guy would be awesome for the bullpen!" type of pitcher right now. The Norfolk pitching staff is actually kind of busted save for our DL Hall and Drew Rom hopes. Baumann has been pitching a little better of late, but he doesn't seem super trustworthy. Zimmermann is an option for some length if we need it. 

The cavalry from here is T. Wells, Hall and Rodriguez, if at any point they are ready.

At the AL Central champion in early October, I'd hope for them to throw a good chunk of the non-Felix Bautista section of the first 18 innings.

The Bats need to give the Arms a Nice to Have a Laugher once in a while thread bump.   It feels like we can't win a game (not even 15-10) without the A relievers.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Unfortunately, there's not really a standout "this guy would be awesome for the bullpen!" type of pitcher right now. The Norfolk pitching staff is actually kind of busted save for our DL Hall and Drew Rom hopes. Baumann has been pitching a little better of late, but he doesn't seem super trustworthy. Zimmermann is an option for some length if we need it. 

I'm all too familiar with the names you've provided who are currently in AAA.

I watch Bowie games.  What I'm referring to is precisely because there are no standouts.  They all seem to be working hard to make an impression, for promotion and/or eventual ML use, e.g. Loeprich, Vallimont (who was promoted but now struggling), Armbruester, Hanifee, now Povich and McDermott.  Guys who are either being developed as relievers already, or who are starters but may find themselves being moved to bullpen roles the way DL Hall has been. 

It's been fun to watch them having a good outing here and there, trying to get someone's attention, knowing there is a good chance the O's will need them if they can perform well. 

Edited by justD
  • Upvote 1