Marlins Open to Trading from Pitching Surplus

StillanOfan

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who are you replacing Lopez with?    The idea that we are moving a proven player in hopes of replacing him with potential.   Isn't that what you are doing with Lopez?   Granted, I don't know your roster and minor league system but seems to me that you planning on doing the same thing on the pitching end as you are questioning us doing on the position end.

We have an abundance of pitching. We cannot hit the ball like...at all. That's what the article that started this thread is talking about.  Taking our surplus of arms and trading for established bats or bats that are close to the bigs with potential (AAA). We can replace Pablo and while I would rather not trade Pablo, we have no choice because as I said we can't hit the ball, lol. We have multiple holes to fill offensively. We're going to lose 90 games again, so we need to try to get what we can in trades. Free agency has been unkind to us.

1 minute ago, Mavericksouth said:

We have an abundance of pitching. We cannot hit the ball like...at all. That's what the article that started this thread is talking about.  Taking our surplus of arms and trading for established bats or bats that are close to the bigs with potential (AAA). We can replace Pablo and while I would rather not trade Pablo, we have no choice because as I said we can't hit the ball, lol. We have multiple holes to fill offensively. We're going to lose 90 games again, so we need to try to get what we can in trades. Free agency has been unkind to us.

To follow up, you guys are closer to the playoffs than we are. We're a 90-loss team. It makes more sense for us to trade the few valuable assets we have and start over as opposed to you guys who are currently four games out of a wild card spot in the middle of September. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it's really just one guy, and to be fair the original thinking was to get teams to overpay for a 5+ WAR 30/30 guy. I personally think it is a good idea explore but would much prefer to trade Hays and/or prospects, and it looks like that framework would be acceptable from the Marlins standpoint. 

Hey, I think we can all agree that "everybody" is available for the "right price."  But this idea that we're going to pull the wool over other team's front offices, and trick them into wildly overpaying for a guy is silly.  For instance, I think Mullins is actually more valuable now than last year, precisely because he's established his value further and isn't seen as a one year wonder.

The problem with trading Mullins imo is there is no replacement in the organization, unless you want to take a decent hit offensively or defensively in CF.  You can trade Mancini because you have Hays/Santander.  You can trade Lopez because you have Bautista.  I'm sympathetic to talking about trading Mateo or Urias- though I don't really want to for various reasons- because they can be replaced internally.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mavericksouth said:

I can understand that your young players are blocked so you want to move current mlb players, but Mullins is a stud, IMO. You're basically hoping that Cowser turns into what Mullins is now. Plus the defense would take a drop if you do move him. If the Marlins didn't have multiple holes to fill offensively, I'd do Mullins for Lopez no questions asked. I understand the team control argument as well, but I admit, I am a bit surprised at the willingness to move an all star CF before a guy who is struggling at AAA at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the potential of Cowser, but its just that...potential. You have tangible evidence with Mullins. Additionally, I actually don't think you guys are THAT far away. You need another power bat in the outfield, and I still think you have a hole at second, which you probably plan to fill internally with Ortiz, Vavra, and/or Norby. The pitching we can probably help you out with (Pablo) and depending on the return, perhaps we could provide another controllable starting arm. 

Right or wrong, I share more with your analysis than I do with many O's fans.

I like Eder a lot. Some may not agree on here, but I think he is equal to DL Hall. If not for TJ surgery,  he would be a top 100 prospect. So It would have to be mateo and someone else. Mateo and Norby for Eder, yes.

This is a gross overpay For the Os.

Eder hasn’t pitched since last year.  He will be back next year but will be on an innings count and will take some time to get back.  You are at least 2025 until he is a complete full go with no restrictions.  

I like him too and would be happy to add him to a stable of arms but the reality is that he’s a long shot to provide very good value long term.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles have reportedly engaged in talks on Mullins and have shown a willingness to move him in the right move.

Its wrong to say it’s just some people on here that are for it.  

I haven't heard any credible reports the Orioles have engaged in substantive talks about trading Mullins.  And I'm not sure what willingness they have shown to move him, since there haven't been any credible reports they engaged in substantive talks regarding Mullins.

I'd be willing to bet quite a bit of money that it's been bandied about more on this board than it has in the Orioles' FO.

Well, you keep Pablo and trade us your top rated pitchers for our top rated position players.  Or you can trade Pablo for a similar value ML position player.   Unfortunately, trading Mullins creates a hole in CF.   Hays, Santander, Mateo, and Urías are similar value to Pablo Lopez.

32 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I haven't heard any credible reports the Orioles have engaged in substantive talks about trading Mullins.  And I'm not sure what willingness they have shown to move him, since there haven't been any credible reports they engaged in substantive talks regarding Mullins.

I'd be willing to bet quite a bit of money that it's been bandied about more on this board than it has in the Orioles' FO.

All you have to do is pay attention and do a google search.

But it’s ok, despite the several things out there, you will just chalk it up to not being serious.

What I think is fair to say is that the Os are potentially only willing to deal Mullins if they get an overwhelming offer, whereas I just want to get a fair deal that brings us back what we need.

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, you keep Pablo and trade us your top rated pitchers for our top rated position players.  Or you can trade Pablo for a similar value ML position player.   Unfortunately, trading Mullins creates a hole in CF.   Hays, Santander, Mateo, and Urías are similar value to Pablo Lopez.

Yea I like Lopez and would like to add him but he has a 4 ERA, a 3.77 FIP, an xERA of about 4 and a K rate that’s down this year.

He also had a shoulder injury last year and only has 2 years of control left.  

He’s good..a solid guy who on the open market probably gets 3-5 years at 15ishM a year.  There is good value with him but not as much as MaverickSouth is leading on.  That said, I don’t think he’s going way overboard either.  He’s brought good thoughts to the thread.  

2 hours ago, Mavericksouth said:

My friend,  if you're asking about Alcantara, you might as well put Adley or Gunnar on the table too. LOL 

I think you are underestimating the depth of our organization. Alcantara is at his highest value right now. Take a look at the Garrett Cole and Justin Verlander trades. Our 5-15 prospects are  moats peoples 3-7.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I've already said I'd trade Pablo for players not named Mullins or Cowser. Hays and Westburg would be sufficient enough for me.

23 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think you are underestimating the depth of our organization. Alcantara is at his highest value right now. Take a look at the Garrett Cole and Justin Verlander trades. Our 5-15 prospects are  moats peoples 3-7.

Not at all. I have great respect for the farm system that Elias has built up. Tremendous young hitters that you guys have drafted and developed. That said, Alcantara is probably going to win the Cy Young this year, and he is 26 with a team friendly contract for the next five years. There is absolutely no need to trade him UNLESS we get an absolute haul. The haul would have to include Henderson or Adley. I highly doubt anyone who is an Os fan wants to do that, and anyone who is Marlins fan is not entertaining moving Alcantara for anything less. So, no need to even discuss the possibility of it, imo. Anyone else in the marlins organization...have at it. I'm open to talking about realistic trades between our two organizations.

2 hours ago, Mavericksouth said:

I've already said I'd trade Pablo for players not named Mullins or Cowser. Hays and Westburg would be sufficient enough for me.

I would pass.  Be happy to Include one of Hays, Santander, Urías, Mateo along with one of our lesser prospects.  Just not interested in trading top prospects with all of their service time for a pitcher with 2 years.