Is there a 3rd #1 prospect in the Minors for the O's?

bluedog

10 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I think a large part in Gunnar being ranked where he was is age. You can tolerate less-than-perfect metrics if the player is younger than every pitcher he faces. Same logic would apply to Holliday if he advances quickly.

I also think a small factor is that our system in general has gotten so much shine in recent years that more evaluators/prospect writers are seeing more Orioles minor league games because of the wealth of prospects in general and got to see Gunnar catch fire. I don't think thats a huge factor, but I feel like it certainly got more eyes on him.

It seems as if the major publications are shying away from naming a pitcher the #1 prospect, just based on how often they get injured, which scratches out Grayson et all. 

Gunnar will still be a prospect on the end of year lists, since he'll still have rookie status, and I don't think Grayson will be rookie eligible by the mid-year re-ranks anyways. 

I don't think Cowser has the elite tools needed, Holliday is probably the most realistic answer, if he's scorching hot next year and jumps to double-A plus has success there. Out of left-field: Norby and Fabian

12 hours ago, seak05 said:

It seems as if the major publications are shying away from naming a pitcher the #1 prospect, just based on how often they get injured, which scratches out Grayson et all. 

Gunnar will still be a prospect on the end of year lists, since he'll still have rookie status, and I don't think Grayson will be rookie eligible by the mid-year re-ranks anyways. 

I don't think Cowser has the elite tools needed, Holliday is probably the most realistic answer, if he's scorching hot next year and jumps to double-A plus has success there. Out of left-field: Norby and Fabian

Zero chance on Norby.  Fabian doesn’t have zero chance but it’s probably not higher than 1%.

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Holliday is the only realistic option. Mayo could get Top 10 if he really busts out next year. Cowser doesn’t have the power or the CF defense that would be needed for him to get that high, and he might not be eligible this time next year. 

I don’t know much about Cowser’s CF defense but he’s got power and he’s got enough.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t know much about Cowser’s CF defense but he’s got power and he’s got enough.  

The point of my post, which was lost on some prolific posters (lol), was that there are guys with profiles that make it theoretically possible. 

I don't think Cowser has that type of profile because he essentially looks like an average defensive CF and doesn't have tremendous power. I love the player, but just don't think he has the profile to be a #1 overall guy despite the fact that he's probably more likely to be a top 10 guy than anyone but Henderson, Rodriguez or Holliday. Heck, he may even be more likely than Holliday, but not to be #1.

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The point of my post, which was lost on some prolific posters (lol), was that there are guys with profiles that make it theoretically possible. 

I don't think Cowser has that type of profile because he essentially looks like an average defensive CF and doesn't have tremendous power. I love the player, but just don't think he has the profile to be a #1 overall guy despite the fact that he's probably more likely to be a top 10 guy than anyone but Henderson, Rodriguez or Holliday. Heck, he may even be more likely than Holliday, but not to be #1.

I agree.   He doesn’t have the ceiling to be no. 1 overall.   But I could see him having a 30-40 WAR career if things broke right.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree.   He doesn’t have the ceiling to be no. 1 overall.   But I could see him having a 30-40 WAR career if things broke right.  

Oh, I love the player. I still think he can be better than Markakis, and that's not meant as a slight on Markakis. I think he'll have more defensive value and hopefully more power, with a similar high OBP plate approach.

I am worried about the Ks a bit, and also about his L/R splits, so he's not a completely finished product, but he's pretty close and already better than plenty of major leaguers who never become finished products.

Basallo could be that guy, especially his size at C. The lofty numbers he put up this year had some pretty select company as comparisons from seasons past.  It would be awesome to see him take that next big step.  

Edit: typos writing on phone 

Edited by emmett16

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Basallo couldn’t be that guys, especially his size at C. The lofty numbers he put up this year had some pretty select company as comparisons from seasons past.  It would be awesome to see him take that next big step.  

I think a lot of us "smart" casual fans are dreaming on Basallo and just waiting to see what happens. 

He'll probably start in Delmarva next year in what might otherwise be his senior year in high school. He's young, powerful and apparently pretty good. Can't wait.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think a lot of us "smart" casual fans are dreaming on Basallo and just waiting to see what happens. 

He'll probably start in Delmarva next year in what might otherwise be his senior year in high school. He's young, powerful and apparently pretty good. Can't wait.

Heh.

I think anyone that knows who Basallo is has lost the right to refer to themselves as a casual fan.

• Upvote 2