22 games left - what non-rookie performances are important to you?

Frobby

There are 22 games to play.  Obviously we want to win as many as possible.  Obviously, we want to see the rookies play and we want them to perform well.

Other than that, whose performances over the last 22 games are most important to you?

For me, the top one is Dean Kremer.  He’s had a really nice year and I’d like to see him finish strong.   Second is probably Tyler Wells, who needs to show that the injury didn’t throw him off track.  

I’m not sure I’d say any performance by a non-rookie position player is more important than another at this stage.  For personal reasons, I’d like to see Austin Hays close strong after a rough 2* months, just because I like him.  And I’d like to see Jorge Mateo start hitting because he’s in the biggest trough at the moment.  

• Upvote 1

You already named the two that came to mind for me-- Kremer and Mateo.

They're both essentially second year players who flopped on their first entries to the big leagues, have shown enough this year to become part of the future conversation, but not enough to be fully confident they can repeat their success next year. They're two potential key contributors whose expected contribution levels are still being established.

More minorly the above is true about Tate, Perez, and Akin in the bullpen. I'd like to be able to pencil them into next year's pen and the larger their success sample size gets the better. 

• Upvote 1

Basically anybody that can be trade bait this offseason for a TOR Starter or more upper level prospects

Mullins - If he finishes hot, he could push 4.0 WAR,  lead the league in steals, and bring home a GG; a CF in his prime could be the center piece for a starter

Urias - Pushing 4.0 WAR and mostly for his dWAR as his OPS+ is 99 at the moment. If he finished hot with the bat and won a GG, I could see him being part of a trade possibly with Mullins and prospects for that TOR

Mateo - Like to see him push his SLG over .400, win a GG, and lead the league in SBs. SS in his prime, more trade bait

Santander - 30+ Dingers and push over .800 OPS.  Who needs a switch hitting slugger? Stock may never be higher. I feel like him and Mateo would be dealt for prospects

I'm also hoping Hays and Mountcastle can finish hot but I'm not sure if they have much trade value at the moment.  I'd like to see Mountcastle get over 25 HRs. If Hays could finish 22 like he did 21, he might be able to get to 20 HRs

• Upvote 1

If Mountcastle don’t show some signs of life, I feel they may need to go back to the drawing board with him. I’m just not seeing a lot there to get excited about when we’re actually in contention.  

In addition to the above, I’m also morbidly curious how the guys we traded away fare. So far, both Mancini and Lopez are playing at exactly a 0.0 bWAR clip for their new clubs. Hopefully Trey can turn it on in the postseason, he deserves it.

Obviously there's some pitching that we would like to see finish strong. Beyond that, I'd like to see how Mateo and Urias finish. 

The team needs to add talent somewhere... will either of those 2 be replaced, or will they show enough with the bats to earn a spot on the 23 team? We know that they both have the defensive chops.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Obviously there's some pitching that we would like to see finish strong. Beyond that, I'd like to see how Mateo and Urias finish. 

The team needs to add talent somewhere... will either of those 2 be replaced, or will they show enough with the bats to earn a spot on the 23 team? We know that they both have the defensive chops.

The Orioles and Hyde have clearly put an every day value behind the perceived defensive value of Hays, Mateo, Urias, Odor, Mountcastle. I think you certainly need guys that can field the ball at an elite level, and you can get away with 1-2 guys who are elite but not as good offensively, but at some point you need guys that can field AND hit. You cant have four guys who have OBP less than .300. Odor will be gone, but there are a lot of decisions to be made with Hays, Mounty, Urias and Mateo moving into the offseason.

I'd really like to see all the young guys finish out strong.   The ones that really need to step it up a notch are Hays and Mountcastle in my opinion.   The season is a grind, but these guys seem to have fallen off a cliff.   Hays has OPS'd .566 and .638 in July/August and Mouncastle .541/.630.   That's long, unproductive time for two guys who should be around their peaks.

• Upvote 1

#1 for me is Tyler Wells. Posting a few 'quality' starts (not necessarily the textbook definition) coming off his injury carries more meaning than what a 22-game sample would do for others.

But I'm hoping for an improved OBP in a host of position players/hitters (Mounty, Hays, Mateo).  But the one guy with the biggest range of outcomes/questions/confidence is... 

Jorge Mateo - I'd like to see some plate discipline.  He's got all sorts of talent and athleticism, it's the mental side of hitting that he could develop a bit more.  Even if the K% doesn't change, a better OBP would go a long way to up his game.  .270 OBP in 2022 is significantly off the .328 rate from 2021.  

From an org perspective:  A big finish for Hays would help the OF depth.  

• Upvote 1

Urias - stay steady, keep improving 

Mateo - small improvements hitting 

Mountcastle - show me something 

Hays - show me you have a heartbeat 

Mullins - end strong and set tone for 2023

Bradish - keep maturing and gaining experience/confidence 

Kremer - show me an out pitch 

Wells - show me some domination and get me excited for next year 

• Upvote 1

I would like to see Wells come back and pitch well and look healthy.  He was the O's best starter the first half.  If healthy, I have him pencilled in the 2023 rotation.

I would like to see Hall be effective.  If he could have some success as a reliever, it would look promising for him to contribute in 2023 in the majors.  Oops, he's a rookie.

Mullins, finishes strong so he's a better trade chip.

Urias, continue to look like a solid contributor wherever he plays.