Your best guess for the starting infield next April

RZNJ

48 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I love the idea of going after Turner. He can always slide to 2B if needed down the road as our prospects (Holliday) come up. Between Vavra and Westburg I think 2B would be solid, and I think Urias works better as a slash utility guy. We really need whatever bat we sign to hit lefties well. The added bonus he puts extra speed back at the top/middle of the lineup. I plead Elias to put up the $$ for either Turner or Rodon. Its a big FA class and we need to capitalize while we can. Either one's contract would probably be over with or almost over with by the time Gunnar and Adley get expensive. 

Thanks. I don't think the O's go after a SS this off season. They just picked Holliday 1/1. They have Ortiz in AAA. As much as Turner is going to get in FA (I've seen 8/265 suggested) I don't think it will happen. 

But to your point, Turner is versatile. He can play SS/2B and CF. He brings speed and he can hit. He gets on base and he scores runs. Having said all of that, I don't see them getting a SS in the free agent market this year.

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Thanks. I don't think the O's go after a SS this off season. They just picked Holliday 1/1. They have Ortiz in AAA. As much as Turner is going to get in FA (I've seen 8/265 suggested) I don't think it will happen. 

But to your point, Turner is versatile. He can play SS/2B and CF. He brings speed and he can hit. He gets on base and he scores runs. Having said all of that, I don't see them getting a SS in the free agent market this year.

Yea I don't expect it or hold any hope. But his profile (RH bat who crushes lefties, positional versatility, added speed, age) would absolutely be the ideal player to spend money on.

• Upvote 1

I think the primary IF need is a good RH bat to backup 1B, DH, and maybe a little corner outfield. Jose Abreu or JD Martinez (don't think he plays any 1B though) on a 2-3 year contract?  Maybe Connor Norby is a solution but he is not the big target you like a 1B.  That, a backup catcher that can hit at least a little, a good SP and MAYBE a bullpen arm (Jorge Lopez reunion?).

Edited by NedFromYork

1B- Bell or Rizzo- If I'm in charge, I'm going after one of Anthony Rizzo and Josh Bell. I'd be trying to trade Mountcastle and/or Santander as well. If they end up not trading both, whoever is left can split time at 1B and DH. I think Bell or RIzzo is the type of LH power bats we should be looking to add at Camden Yards. Both have the OBP skills that Elias is looking for and they will both benefit from ending the shift. Both might be able to be had for around 15-20 Mil a season

2B- Urias - I wonder if Westburg is traded. Westburg, Ortiz, or Norby could steal this job, but not to start the season. Vavra probably gets starts as well going into the new year but is more of a utility guy. I like the idea of starting Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby at AAA challenging one of them to take the job from Urias by midseason

SS - Mateo - Much like Urias, I feel like he's cost controlled and earned another year based on his WAR.  Henderson, Ortiz, or Westburg could replace as well, but I don't think Elias gets what he's looking for in a trade for Mateo and decides to gamble and start the season with him knowing he has options if he struggles. It could be worth the gamble as there's enough ceiling that there's a chance Mateo could be elite with a few offensive improvements. Big offseason for Mateo

3B - Henderson - I think he can handle SS, but he's potentially elite at 3B. Urias put up good dWar but I think Henderson is a much better defender overall