What 3 moves would you make this off season (that are realistic)?

DocJJ

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

1. Sign Joe Musgrove

2. Sign Chris Bassitt

3. Sign Josh Bell

I think high-end second tier pitching is where we will realistically shop.  I think we look to bring in a power bat.  The above moves allow us to explore trading Mountcastle who I would look to shop along with Mateo and Mullins.  

Unfortunately San Diego already extended Musgrove w/ a 5 yr/$100 million contract, which had to be well below market value.  I think Musgrove just wanted to be in San Diego.

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Unfortunately San Diego already extended Musgrove w/ a 5 yr/$100 million contract, which had to be well below market value.  I think Musgrove just wanted to be in San Diego.

I did not realize that. I didn’t see that updated on the sportrac website.  Dang.  

55 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

1. Sign Joe Musgrove

2. Sign Chris Bassitt

3. Sign Josh Bell

I think high-end second tier pitching is where we will realistically shop.  I think we look to bring in a power bat.  The above moves allow us to explore trading Mountcastle who I would look to shop along with Mateo and Mullins.  

I doubt we pony up for all 3, so realistically I target 1 and 2.

Let's assume we don't have the checkbook for Verlander/deGrom and Kershaw won't come here.  Rank the remaining as desired, including what you think they'll get in a deal, here's mine:

1. Rodon: Pitches like an ace, hopefully not in the $40 per year territory, but I'd be okay with 35-30 per for up to 5 years.

2.  Bassitt

3. Eovaldi

4. Clevinger: I think there's more in the tank as he recovers

5. Severino: I think the Yankees allure makes him too expensive for his value

6. Syndergaard

7. Stripling

If I am Verlander, I am probably starting at the Scherzer contract and then asking What else you got?

I believe with International Draft not being worked out, Qualifying Offers are still a thing, and deGrom-Rodon-Bassitt are all expected to get them, so winning the bid might also involve denting your future draft pool.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

Under the terms of the 2022-26 Collective Bargaining Agreement, MLB and the MLB Players Association had the opportunity to agree on the implementation of an International Draft by July 25, 2022, which would have eliminated the qualifying offer system starting with the 2022-23 offseason. The two sides did not agree by the deadline, though, meaning the system will remain in place until the end of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Penalties for signing players who reject their QO

Any team that signs a player who has rejected a qualifying offer is subject to the loss of one or more Draft picks. (Players who are unsigned after the start of the Rule 4 Draft in the year that follows the rejection of their qualifying offer are no longer tied to Draft pick compensation and can be signed without their new club needing to forfeit a Draft pick.)

A team's highest first-round pick is exempt from forfeiture, which is a big change that went into effect under the 2017-21 CBA. Three tiers of Draft pick forfeiture -- based on the financial status of the signing team -- are in place to serve as a penalty for signing a player who rejected a qualifying offer:

1. Sign Verlander -  2 - 70M  3 - 90M

2. Re-sign - Jordan Lyles 1- 11M  

3. Trade - Bradish, Hall, Mountcastle for Nick Lodolo LHP Reds  (Mountcastle can DH/1B with Votto.)

Revamped Rotation

1. Verlander

2. Lodolo

3. Kremer

4. Lyles

5. Rodiguez/Voth/Wells

https://www.mlb.com/news/jacob-degrom-free-agency-top-suitors

Check out us as one of the 7 suitors. 

“Baltimore Orioles

This might seem like a far-fetched scenario ... but would it be? Baltimore took a big step forward in 2022, winning 83 games while hanging in the AL Wild Card race until the final days of the season. With less than $10 million in guaranteed salary on the books for 2023 and beyond, adding a bona fide ace to their group of young players would be a sign from the Orioles to the fan base that they’re serious about contending.”

so yeah… 1. Sign deGrom

2. Pick up Lyle’s option

3. Trade Mountcastle/Mullins/Mateo for best arm available and sign Jose Abreu. 

• Upvote 2

Sign Tyler Anderson.

Trade relatively little for Merrill Kelly. 

If reasonable offers are available, trade Mountcastle and Hays. 

Sign Michael Brantley to DH and check on signing Matt Carpenter (is he fixed, did he figure something out, or was it a small sample size that deceives?) to play 1B. 

My thoughts

• I think only one person in this thread said trade Mateo (forgive me if I've missed others). I think that is going to be an interesting offseason decision for Elias. Leave Mateo alone at SS or trade him and give SS to Ortiz or Gunnar?
  • I've reached peak Hays and Mountcastle. I don't think we will see anything better out of either of them in the lineup. I'm hoping that Elias can upgrade the lineup with two players for outfield and 1B.
  • Personally, I think if the O's manage to acquire two #2 or better starters, a MOO run producer, another .800 OPS bat, and a solid reliever... the O's will compete for the AL East title. 

Just my 2 cents.   

Sign Rodon. Not necessarily going to say whatever it takes, but I'm ok with 30ish a year for 5ish years.

Trade Mateo, preferably in a package that gets back a young controlable starter with a few of our other prospects. Miami seems like a good trade partner as mentioned in the thread. I think we have the luxury of dealing away a guy that's basically a glove/speed only player. There are too many players in our system and team that can play SS to "settle" for a guy that's likely a net negative with the bat. Sure maybe his bat may improve, but if doesn't that's just an unnecessary black hole in our lineup. Trade him now while his value may not ever be higher like we did with Lopez.

Sign JD Martinez or Jose Abreu to a 2/50ish deal, preferably Abreu but would be fine with JD.

1. CF Mullins
  2. C Adley
  3. 1B Abreu
  4. LF Santander
  5. SS Henderson
  6. DH Mountcastle
  7. RF Hays
  8. 3B Urias
  9. 2B Westburg
Edited by G54377
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

1. Sign Verlander -  2 - 70M  3 - 90M

2. Re-sign - Jordan Lyles 1- 11M  

3. Trade - Bradish, Hall, Mountcastle for Nick Lodolo LHP Reds  (Mountcastle can DH/1B with Votto.)

Revamped Rotation

1. Verlander

2. Lodolo

3. Kremer

4. Lyles

5. Rodiguez/Voth/Wells

Leaves us too weak offensively.  Not sure it makes any sense for the Reds.  And I'm not sure that Hall/Bradish isn't just straight up better than Lodolo.  This seems the kind of trade to make if you don't like your guys.

Jose Abreu for 1B pushing Mountcastle TO DH/1B.  Verlander for 2-3 years.  Back up catcher that can hit a little.  A reliever.

Abreu 1B/DH

Vavra 2B/LF

Mateo SS/PR

Henderson 3B/SS

Rutschman C/DH

Hays LF

Mullins CF

Santander RF

Mountcastle DH/1B

Urias 3B/2B, Stowers OF/DH, McKenna CF/OF/PR, Backup Catcher

McKenna goes when Cowser is ready and Hays goes to fourth OF eventually.  Vavra likely goes to LF/DH when Westburg is ready.  When Ortiz is ready Mateo goes.