Orioles sign Jake Cave, DFA Jake Reed

Yardball85

2 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Will be 30 years old next season, LH bat with mediocre offense. Is this acquisition the first domino in an eventual trade of Mullins? 

Getting a 30 year old 4A OF would have no effect on the future of Mullins.

Unless this is like those guys who start with something like an old shoe and trade it for something a little more valuable and trade that for something else a little more valuable and so on and so on and finally wind up with a Lamborghini, and they document it all on Youtube.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Getting a 30 year old 4A OF would have no effect on the future of Mullins.

I’d think so too, but between McKenna and Phillips we appear to be already well stocked with 4A center fielders. Why add another? I can see a scenario where Elias & Co. believe that Phillips’ offensive explosion at Norfolk was the real deal, thus making Mullins expendable. We trade Mullins for pitching, Phillips replaces him in CF next season, and Cave replaces Phillips at Norfolk. 

15 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I’d think so too, but between McKenna and Phillips we appear to be already well stocked with 4A center fielders. Why add another? I can see a scenario where Elias & Co. believe that Phillips’ offensive explosion at Norfolk was the real deal, thus making Mullins expendable. We trade Mullins for pitching, Phillips replaces him in CF next season, and Cave replaces Phillips at Norfolk. 

Phillips is a free agent