Should/Will the O’s Exercise the Jordan Lyles Option?

Frobby

Should/will the O’s exercise the Jordan Lyles option?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should/will the O’s exercise the Jordan Lyles Option?

• They should and they will
    • They should but they won’t
    • They shouldn’t but they will
    • They shouldn’t and they won’t

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/06/22 at 01:19

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You voted that they "should" do it.

That isn't the same as "I don't have a problem with it"

One is accepting the other endorsing.

They will and I don't have a problem with it wasn't an option, counselor.    

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  Name some guys who are better than Lyles and will sign a one year contract for less than 10M.

Stripling, Carrasco, Wacha or Kluber?    We're in trouble though big picture wise if the less than $10M limit is any kind of constraint in hiring better players for the 2023 team.

$6mm felt like a lot for '22 Lyles and we got say a 70th percentile kind of year.    Take your profits, arbitrager.

A test of the BAL brand will be if Lyles lines stay open if Elias needs him later in the offseason.   I can see paths where he might, but no need to burn $10mm of your allotment before the market begins.    I don't believe many of the other Clubs are going to be rushing to make Jordan Lyles an ex-Oriole early in free agency.

• Upvote 1

Next year should be a year of really competing. You can never have enough pitching, especially starting pitching. No need to have to try to convince him to sign. He's here, done, boom! It only costs 10 million. Elias says payroll is increasing. We don't have much starting pitching in the minor league cupboard. We have no idea if we can sign or trade for any other quality starters.

They should and will pick up the option. Lyles is a solid, relatively cheap innings-eater. A role that will still be needed in a rotation that will have Rodriguez and probably at least one other SP who doesn't have a track record of pitching 150-175 innings anywhere let alone in the majors. Certainly it's possible they could replace him more cheaply but why roll the dice? 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m very bewildered by anyone who thinks they should. 

The only argument I can think of that is even remotely reasonable is that you don’t think they will find anyone better, whether it’s trade or FA signing.

But if you believe that, it means you don’t think Elias is very good at his job.

That's the only reason I can think of, too. But I think you gotta move on. He is what he is, and he served his purpose for a team that wasn't supposed to compete. Lyles should not be a starter on a playoff-caliber squad. Let Boston him. 

I don't think they should nor will pick up Lyles option.   But I think Elias will say  he is open to pursuing him in free agency depending on how the market shakes out.

I think the O's will pursue several free agent starters.   It does not have to be for one year.  They could go for one to three years for the right FA.

I don't think they pursue any FA that cost them a draft choice.

Edited by wildcard

If you're in favor of bringing him back I don't ever want to hear any complaints about WAR and replacement level.  Lyles is clearly an above-replacement but below-average player who they may end up paying $11M.  Obviously replacement level is a valid measure if teams are willing to spend $11M for a 32-year-old pitcher with a career ERA+ of 83, coming off a 91.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

Lyles provides consistency and takes the ball every 5th day.  For an organization that is trying to grow with young pitchers, that is valuable.  I think they should and will do it, even though it is a slight overpay for what he is worth.  Still, it's one year and it should not limit us spending elsewhere.  Emphasis on should.

Now, if you told me they would take that $10m and direct it towards luring a free agent like Rodon then I'm all for it.  I think it's more likely that we attempt to trade for a starter though.

I voted that they shouldn’t and they won’t.  They clearly need to go get someone better than Lyles, maybe two.  Spending $11 mm on Lyles makes that harder to do.  But, as I said in the OP, they could always exercise the option as an insurance policy in case they’re unable to acquire the better pitching they want, and unload Lyles if they are successful in making acquisitions.  Put it this way: if they do exercise the option, I hope that actually keeping Lyles for 2023 is Plan B.

• Upvote 2