Hyde Finishes Second in MoY.

Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Agree with this. Once we all take our Orange colored glasses off it becomes clear that Hyde had a very good year but the team's play down the stretch and failure to make the playoffs sealed his fate. 

I was shocked to see Drungo thinking that Cleveland was expected to be an 85 win team.

They had a pretty surprising year with a lot of very young players.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was shocked to see Drungo thinking that Cleveland was expected to be an 85 win team.

The O's had a historic improvement. There is no doubt. However, it's very difficult to hang a ton of credit for that on Hyde and then not take into consideration how they played down the stretch. He has to get credit/blame for both. That's why, IMO, he lost the award. If they beat Tampa for the last spot in the playoffs, its his award. But they didn't so they gave it to Tito. Sucks, but it is what it is.

17 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Agree with this. Once we all take our Orange colored glasses off it becomes clear that Hyde had a very good year but the team's play down the stretch and failure to make the playoffs sealed his fate. 

"Sorry, Brandon, I know you led a team that lost 110 games last year into contention despite the lowest payroll in the sport by far, but seeing as how you didn't quite have the greatest leap forward since before the airplane was invented we'll give it to the guy whose team improved by 12 games in perhaps MLB's weakest division."

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1. I don't really care about other teams.

2. The AL Central is a bunch of cupcakes, so if you win 80 last year odds are you might do okay this year.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

"Sorry, Brandon, I know you led a team that lost 110 games last year into contention despite the lowest payroll in the sport by far, but seeing as how you didn't quite have the greatest leap forward since before the airplane was invented we'll give it to the guy whose team improved by 12 games in perhaps MLB's weakest division."

Can you please explain to me how the Orioles payroll is "by far" the lowest when the A's are also in the sport?

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

"Brandon, you did very well, my friend. Your farm system is producing great talent and you guided those young men to a remarkable turn around. But your team didn't play well down the stretch. When it mattered and the playoffs were within your grasp, your team didn't get the job done. We like what you did but Tito did it just a bit better."

6 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

"Brandon, you did very well, my friend. Your farm system is producing great talent and you guided those young men to a remarkable turn around. But your team didn't play well down the stretch. When it mattered and the playoffs were within your grasp, your team didn't get the job done. We like what you did but Tito did it just a bit better."

Lol whatever 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Runner up feels right for Hyde, IMO. He'll win if the O's repeat a good season. 

Buck winning is a laugh though. Happy for him, but I mean... really? He took one of the highest payroll teams in the game and they were like a fart in the wind in the playoffs. 

Buck is the best at handling the media.

Considering the Braves ran his Mets down I'd have gone with Snitker.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

The O's had a historic improvement. There is no doubt. However, it's very difficult to hang a ton of credit for that on Hyde and then not take into consideration how they played down the stretch. He has to get credit/blame for both. That's why, IMO, he lost the award. If they beat Tampa for the last spot in the playoffs, its his award. But they didn't so they gave it to Tito. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Well, I don’t blame Hyde for the team’s poor play down the stretch.   They played a very tough schedule at the end and were running on fumes.  But at the same time, I agree that if they’d played well enough to squeak into the playoffs, Hyde probably would have won MOY.  

I’m pretty sure Hyde won’t lose any sleep over not winning this award.  At least he can put the Sporting News award under his pillow.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Buck winning is a laugh though. Happy for him, but I mean... really? He took one of the highest payroll teams in the game and they were like a fart in the wind in the playoffs. 

The votes take place before the playoffs.  The Mets improved by 24 games and won 101, which is hard to do.  The Braves caught them, but it was mostly because they got red hot, not because the Mets faltered.   The Mets went 18-13 in Sept./Oct.  So, Buck was a reasonable choice.   It was a close vote.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Buck is the best at handling the media.

Considering the Braves ran his Mets down I'd have gone with Snitker.

Definitely a defensible choice.  The NL vote was really close.  Buck and Dave Roberts got 8 first place votes, Snitker 7, Marmol 5 and Thomson 2.  All five also got many second and third place votes.  Buck was named on 25 of 30 ballots, Roberts and Snitker on 17, Marmol on 16, Thomson on 14.   It was a real horse race.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Definitely a defensible choice.  The NL vote was really close.  Buck and Dave Roberts got 8 first place votes, Snitker 7, Marmol 5 and Thomson 2.  All five also got many second and third place votes.  Buck was named on 25 of 30 ballots, Roberts and Snitker on 17, Marmol on 16, Thomson on 14.   It was a real horse race.  

Buck has won four times in 4 different decades with 4 different teams. How's that for a legacy? Does it get him in the HoF if he never wins it all?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

How is he going to win if the O's do reasonably well next year? He will have managed the up-and-coming team of young stars to contention and perhaps the playoffs, as is expected.

I guess that's the narrative for Francona and he won, so why not?  Buck didn't win for the plucky upstarts who played Lew Ford in a postseason game against the Yanks, he won for having the best record in the AL East.  But I'd argue his work in '12 was as impressive or more so than in '14.