Orioles 2022 #1 Prospect Gunnar Henderson - 3B/SS

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because we have Adley cheap for 5 more years and Gunnar cheap for 6 more.

That gets Adley to pushing 30 years old.

You get Gunnar until he is 26/27.

I would like to get Adley done for 8 years and Gunnar for 8-10. 

But knowing we have them, especially Adley, through most of their prime, is good with me.  There’s a decent chance we won’t even want Adley for his 31-33 year old seasons, so if he just walks after arbitration, it may be a good thing.

Gunnar is the bigger deal imo but you have time.

Im all for them signing them but the way people talk, if it doesn’t get done this offseason, it’s a big failure on the part of Elias.  I just disagree with that.

These are good points and I don't disagree.  Especially about the part of wanting Adley here for anything past his 30+ years.  Obviously need to see how his body holds up, if the bat is special enough for him to be a first baseman, etc.

I just think the thing that gives me pause about Gunnar is if he goes out and kills it in 2023, wins the ROY, cements himself as a top 10 young player in the game, does it decrease the chances for him to sign a long term deal?  Hard to say.  Let's not forget that Boras is his agent...and while I'm not afraid of Boras and I'm not quick to blame him for everything wrong with baseball, I don't think his presence in this situation really helps our chances in locking him up long term, either.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

These are good points and I don't disagree.  Especially about the part of wanting Adley here for anything past his 30+ years.  Obviously need to see how his body holds up, if the bat is special enough for him to be a first baseman, etc.

I just think the thing that gives me pause about Gunnar is if he goes out and kills it in 2023, wins the ROY, cements himself as a top 10 young player in the game, does it decrease the chances for him to sign a long term deal?  Hard to say.  Let's not forget that Boras is his agent...and while I'm not afraid of Boras and I'm not quick to blame him for everything wrong with baseball, I don't think his presence in this situation really helps our chances in locking him up long term, either.  

I think Gunnar is more of a priority of age.

I think Boras would be ok with him getting an 8 year deal, as that still puts him at FA at a youngish age.

But you can argue if signing him to 8 years is worth it.  All you are doing is taking on a big risk to get 2 years of free agency.  That’s all you gain.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The idea of extending both may be as much about optics as necessity. I agree that age/position makes Gunnar a bigger priority for sure. It's just optically imperfect to wrap up Gunnar, but not Captain America.

There’s also the question on if Cap wants to sign the deal or if his demands are unrealistic.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Gunnar is more of a priority of age.

I think Boras would be ok with him getting an 8 year deal, as that still puts him at FA at a youngish age.

But you can argue if signing him to 8 years is worth it.  All you are doing is taking on a big risk to get 2 years of free agency.  That’s all you gain.

And if the team is winning and Henderson has been a big part of that, why would they not have the money to resign him anyways or extend him towards the end? 

I absolutely think Gunnar is the kind of talent you do give a 10 year contract if you can get him signed for something that makes sense, but I can understand why you wait until a few years in before you think about that process.

10 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Gunnar did about 15 minutes on Adam Jones' podcast today, in which Rest Science unfriendly terms like "posting up" and "best ability is availability" were used.     Also a haircut.

Adam sure likes to talk!  Gunnar barely got a word in edgewise.   He’s a calm, confident kid.