Some overly simplistic OBP math

Frobby

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure he's talking.

But I don't think for a second that the plan is to sign a guy that is considered a conventional #1 or #2 pitcher.

Might he pull the trigger if one fell into his lap?  That's a different kettle of fish.

What I expect is the local media talking up a more budget friendly acquisition.

Why go look at the Mercedes’ that you can’t afford to buy. I’m sure he has some latitude or it’s just a complete waste of time

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I know you can usually take Elias at his word. He doesn’t seem to throw too many smoke screens. He’s stated 2 hitters and a starter in the 2nd tier.

I agree but let's see who the two hitters are.  I'd be surprised if the end result is Stowers getting pushed out of a job entirely but that's certainly possible.  Obviously, two hitters is going to have an impact on the current players.  He said he would add two hitters. He said nothing about subtractions but I assume there will be.

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree but let's see who the two hitters are.  I'd be surprised if the end result is Stowers getting pushed out of a job entirely but that's certainly possible.  Obviously, two hitters is going to have an impact on the current players.  He said he would add two hitters. He said nothing about subtractions but I assume there will be.

There are plenty of guys. Correa for example would make 1 of Mateo/Urias expendable. If your counting on Westburg out of the gate then both. Both certainly have trade value. If you get Benintendi then Hays is the guy you send packing. Stowers can be used as the RF or DH. He needs to prove that he can cut down on the Ks and up his OBP. 

I really have no idea who we will end up with but getting upgrades in that category would be a big step.

53 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There are plenty of guys. Correa for example would make 1 of Mateo/Urias expendable. If your counting on Westburg out of the gate then both. Both certainly have trade value. If you get Benintendi then Hays is the guy you send packing. Stowers can be used as the RF or DH. He needs to prove that he can cut down on the Ks and up his OBP. 

I really have no idea who we will end up with but getting upgrades in that category would be a big step.

upgrading would be a big step but adding to an area of strength doesn't make the long term much different. I would rather see us address positions that need drastic improvement. Like 2B, RF/LF/DH/1B depending on where Santander is getting a majority of his AB. Backup catcher is another good spot to upgrade. 2 bats are probably one for dh/1b or dh/cof and then a backup catcher. I think the rest goes in house. So bring on the pitchers!

• Upvote 2

Shopping in the second/third tier of SP could still mean a #1-2 starter for this staff. Not sure that a #1 type in a league-wide sense is that reliable or predictable year to year anyway. Same goes for playoff time... it depends on who's hot. Look what Bradish and Kremer did in Houston that last series, for instance. 

14 hours ago, MijiT88 said:

upgrading would be a big step but adding to an area of strength doesn't make the long term much different. I would rather see us address positions that need drastic improvement. Like 2B, RF/LF/DH/1B depending on where Santander is getting a majority of his AB. Backup catcher is another good spot to upgrade. 2 bats are probably one for dh/1b or dh/cof and then a backup catcher. I think the rest goes in house. So bring on the pitchers!

So I get ya….but, players can be moved. For example, what’s the plan with Santander. Also, what about Hays? He’s probably valuable to a CF needy team but not for a team that has options. In addition, let’s say they went free agent at SS. The player can start there and move when a better glove arises. Maybe Holiday is ready in 4 and you gave out a 7 year deal. A move would certainly present itself.