BP Orioles list

Just Regular

They went:

OFP 70 - Gunnar-Grayson-Holliday

OFP 60 - Cowser-Mayo

OFP 55 - Westburg-Norby-Hall-Kjerstad-Haskin

That feels super generous in Haskin's case, though their lead writer Jeff Paternostro mentioned a couple times in the piece how his hit tool evaluations feel in flux given how BAL and some others are helping players to excellent results a scout can't as easily tell.

I know Tony's tougher in general, and on Haskin in particular, but this piece did make me wonder if Haskin has a shot to outplay Ryan McKenna sometime in the not too distant future.

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

They went:

OFP 70 - Gunnar-Grayson-Holliday

OFP 60 - Cowser-Mayo

OFP 55 - Westburg-Norby-Hall-Kjerstad-Haskin

That feels super generous in Haskin's case, though their lead writer Jeff Paternostro mentioned a couple times in the piece how his hit tool evaluations feel in flux given how BAL and some others are helping players to excellent results a scout can't as easily tell.

I know Tony's tougher in general, and on Haskin in particular, but this piece did make me wonder if Haskin has a shot to outplay Ryan McKenna sometime in the not too distant future.

Haskin is similar to McKenna in that they are both 4th/5th outfielder types. McKenna is faster and probably a better defender overall, but maybe Haskin gets the nod with the hit tool.

If you take away Haskin's white hot first seven games, his .243/.353/.406/.759 line in 430 PAS at 23 years old looks close to McKenna's .232/.321/.365/.686 in 569 PAs as a 22-year old at Bowie. 

McKenna's 23 year old season was lost to COVID. 

McKenna is not the worse comp for Haskin when it comes to most likely outcomes. 

Making Haskin the 10th ranked prospects in this deep system is a head scratcher, but hey, everyone is allowed an opinion.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

BP always likes to go out on a limb on one guy.  This year it’s Haskin.  I do think he’s somewhat overlooked around here.  No way he’s top 10 though.  

That's your opinion and its now marked. Haskin is your new Fiorentino. :D

I'll take the under.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for those tidbits, @Pickles.  BP is usually good for one outlier pick, and this year it’s Haskin.  I personally find him quirky and interesting.   I wouldn’t have him in my top 10, but he’s worth following.  

Well the idea that they're modelling less for strength of schedule and "moving away from visual hit tool evaluation" I find more interesting than Haskin.

As far as the tidbits, they really were very positive.  Their grades seem high across the board this year, but even adjusting for that, they're really high on a lot of the O's guys.

22 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well the idea that they're modelling less for strength of schedule and "moving away from visual hit tool evaluation" I find more interesting than Haskin.

The only thing I can think of when they say that is with the draft picks of Haskins and Beavers. I'm assuming when they say "visual hit tool evaluation" they are talking about not being worried about hitters having those really pretty swings. 

If they go into more detail let me know. 

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The only thing I can think of when they say that is with the draft picks of Haskins and Beavers. I'm assuming when they say "visual hit tool evaluation" they are talking about not being worried about hitters having those really pretty swings. 

If they go into more detail let me know. 

Yeah, they don't go into detail about what they mean by that, but I surmise they mean they don't care what a guy looks like when swinging the bat, they care about the results.

I'll be sure to update any further clarifications.