Is anyone freakin' out because the Rays have not signed a big free agent?

wildcard

The Rays were a playoff team in 2022.  86-76.   This off season they have let Kluber,  Zunino, Yarbrough and Peralta go FA.   Declined an option on Kiermaier making him a FA.  Traded reliever Brooks Raley to  for a prospect.  They lost reliever Feyereisen to injury.

I may have missed it but I have not seen them add anyone of significances this off season.     Is anyone freakin" about the Rays?

The O's and Rays are  both small market teams with a low payrolls winning  83 and 86 games in 2022 with team philosophies that are pretty close to each other.   So if no one is freakin' about the Rays not making moves why are the O's fans?

Both the Rays and O's will probably make some moves before opening day.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2

I'm not "freakin' out".  But there are a few differences.

• The Rays have always operated this way, so I would think that the way they're doing things is right in line with expectations.  The Orioles have not.
  • I like Elias but he hasn't done himself any favors with his public comments.  From the backtracking on "liftoff" to public stating that the Orioles aren't likely going to compete for the division, these are just things you don't say.  
  • The Orioles don't need to be the Rays.  For that matter the Rays don't need to be the Rays.  Between revenue sharing and TV deals it seems clear to me that all teams in baseball are making a ton of money.  Some of course make more, and some - it seems - are willing to make a bit less to increase their chances of winning.

I do agree with your last line, and I'm in no rush to judge the offseason before the calendar year even ends.  If we get to the season and there have been no significant upgrades to the team though, that will be very disappointing, and should be for all O's fans.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I liked the Eflin signing by the Rays.  3 years, $40 million.  

They did add him. 

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Rays were a playoff team in 2022.  86-76.   This off season they have let Kluber,  Zunino, Yarbrough and Peralta go FA.   Declined an option on Kiermaier making him a FA.  Traded reliever Brooks Raley to  for a prospect.  They lost reliever Feyereisen to injury.

I may have missed it but I have not seen them add anyone of significances this off season.     Is anyone freakin" about the Rays?

The O's and Rays are  both small market teams with a low payrolls winning  83 and 86 games in 2022 with team philosophies that are pretty close to each other.   So if no one is freakin' about the Rays not making moves why are the O's fans?

Both the Rays and O's will probably make some moves before opening day.

The Rays rotation is 

McClanhan

Rasmussen 

Glasnow

Eflin

Springs 

Wander Franco played in 83 games last year and Lowe played in 65. I don’t love their lineup but major upside compared to last year. 

The Orioles rotation clearly does not match TB. 

The Orioles have the weakest/unproven  rotation of any playoff contender in the AL.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, the Rays were extremely unlucky with health last year. Just being healthy in 2023 make them a better team.  

People keep overlooking the Os health last year. They were very healthy for the most part. That’s not likely to happen again.

I read an article that said the Orioles were position wise by day the healthiest team in the AL.

This is a weird thread topic. This isn’t Rays Hangout. I don’t particularly care what they do, other than its impact on us in the East standings.

As others have said, the Rays have a much higher payroll than us and are working off a higher foundation than we had last year, even with Franco and Lowe out. I appreciate the different perspective, but this misses the mark.