How about Cueto

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

How did he do it last year then? Lol I am serious.  Is the stat useless? 

Well, he did show some ability to pitch to contact effectively based on things like hard hit % and barrel % so I do think it is fair to say that he is more likely to be able to have success without missing bats than others. 

That being said, I certainly would not commit a significant amount money or more than one year banking on him repeating that and if his trend on missing bats keeps going this direction he may not be an effective major league pitcher in the near future.  A cheap one year deal where we have no problem cutting him quickly if he is getting shelled would be fine as depth move.

Edited by Big Mac
typo

37 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Well, he did show some ability to pitch to contact effectively based on things like hard hit % and barrel % so I do think it is fair to say that he is more likely to be able to have success without missing bats than others. 

That being said, I certainly would not commit a significant amount money or more than one year banking on him repeating that and if his trend on missing bats keeps going this direction he may not be an effective major league pitcher in the near future.  A cheap one year deal where we have no problem cutting him quickly if he is getting shelled would be fine as depth move.

But the Os generally ONLY make what others rightly see as “depth” moves .. then the offseason is over and off we go lol  Problem is we never have the quality pitching which “depth” moves are designed to enhance.  
Jays signing Cueto to be a 4th or 5th starter behind their quality starters would be very different than us signing him to somehow be an upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

So explain how a pitcher with a 3.5 WAR last year for White Sox is much,  much worse than the 1.5 WAR the guy you like put up last year?  .. 

I meant to say American League "East" in my original post. Cueto is and has been a smoke and mirrors gimmicky pitcher for years. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. That's how I explain last season. For the last 30 days of the season his ERA / WHIP were 5.22 / 1.47.  He also only struck out 102 batters in 158 innings. And, as someone else pointed out, he's also about to turn 37 years old. Those are all red flags. 

Edited by HakunaSakata

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I thought the White Sox were in the American League.

BTW, he had a 3.35 ERA and a 3.79 FIP last year.

In the AL.

Yeah, I meant AL "East", but thanks for pointing out my mistake in a very assholian way. From what I've read of your other posts it seems to be on brand. 

I'm not even going to bother explaining why Cueto is a bad pitcher, because I don't honestly believe you think he's good.

10 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Yeah, I meant AL "East", but thanks for pointing out my mistake in a very assholian way. From what I've read of your other posts it seems to be on brand. 

I'm not even going to bother explaining why Cueto is a bad pitcher, because I don't honestly believe you think he's good.

You're welcome.  His 3 games against the AL East don't support your theory. 6 shutout innings against the Yankees and a QS against the Red Sox among them.   Sticks and stones.  Let's watch our language Sakata.  Hate to lose you.

30 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I meant to say American League "East" in my original post. Cueto is and has been a smoke and mirrors gimmicky pitcher for years. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. That's how I explain last season. For the last 30 days of the season his ERA / WHIP were 5.22 / 1.47.  He also only struck out 102 batters in 158 innings. And, as someone else pointed out, he's also about to turn 37 years old. Those are all red flags. 

So was Jamie Moyer

I wanted Cueto last year.  His k-rate is terrible but he seems to have settled into that crafty junkballer part of his career fairly well.  A one year deal might be okay but at his age the wheels might come completely off.  He doesn't strike anyone out, he doesn't get swings and misses.  

Again, Cueto by himself wouldn't be terrible as a 5th starter.  Cueto paired with our other big signing of Kyle Gibson isn't good.