Orioles pursuing Wacha?

Sports Guy

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Garbage.

No attempt at a true upgrade.

We don't know what kind of attempt was made. Rumor was Syndergaard had multiyear offers from other teams but preferred LA. Based on the profile, one of those offers could easily have been us.

Agreed, whatever attempt was made wasn't successful. 

I actually wouldn't mind Wacha. Appears his velocity is OK, only 30 years old, coming off a solid year in a hitter's park. Would not have been the first guy on my list but he fits what Elias is trying to do, improve the team within the constraint of no long term contracts.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Gibson had a bad year last year, so he is a terrible signing. Wacha had a great year last year but the years before that were mixed, so he is a terrible signing. Tough crowd.

They aren’t good signings because they are mediocre pitchers on a team that already has guys like that and need to improve the top of the rotation.

1 good year in 4 or 5 years, recent or not, isn’t a trend. It’s an outlier and means very little overall.

Signing one of these guys is meh. Signing 2 of them is horrendous.

• Upvote 1

If we got him, maybe he would tell Elias a story how sometimes if you draft the right polished college ace in the middle of the first round, in the right circumstances he could be the LCS MVP the very next season.

That's my main impression of Wacha's career - he's never really built upon the wunderkind splash beating peak Kershaw twice.

• Upvote 1